Where did my Contact Groups go?

Old February 23rd 07, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Default Where did my Contact Groups go?

That may be true for Outlook, but its never been that way with OE.

steve

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
One thing is su changing or upgrading versions always leaves data
intact. It might start another data file, but it always leaves other data
intact. It is a mystery why a thorough search wouldn't turn up your data
file.
Migrating data incorrectly (like by importing it instead of copying it)
will lose a lot of data, DL's included.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rebecca" wrote in message
news
Thank you for trying to help me. I guess they did disappear when I
downloaded the 2007 trial software. They never disappeared before, so I
didn't think to back it up. I didn't think of a distribution file as
being
data. I back up my business files, but never had a problem with my
contact
lists.

Rebecca

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

I don't see how I can find your data files for you. You were the only
one
who was there and know what you did. Don't you back up your data?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rebecca" wrote in message
I found two files. One said last changed date was in June 2006 the
other
said yesterday. When I opened the one that said yestserday there was
page
with what looked like column headings for "Calendar," "Tasks," and
"Messages." But the rest of the page was blank. When I opened the
other
(which was too old to have all of the distribution list) I got an
error.
When I went back to see what the error was so I could put it here, it
opened
the same as the other one with the column headings.

Rebecca

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

File Open Outlook Data File...
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rebecca" wrote in message
I found a couple of .pst files. How do I open them in Outlook?

Rebecca

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

What is "Beta 2000?" There is no way to tell what you have done,
but
there
is every chance your Outlook data file is perfectly intact. Just
search
for
every PST file on your hard drive and open each in Outlook until
you
find
the one that contains your data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rebecca" wrote in message
That's because, as I stated, I am not so computer literate.
Tell me
where
find what version of Outlook I had, please. I had XP service
pack 2
and
bought the computer and the software in 2003. I was using the
Beta
2000
with
no problem. I intended to buy 2007 and Vista software, but
downloaded
the
trial to see what differences there were. Now not only did my
distribution
list disappear, but I am having problems with my scanner and
printers.
wasn't having problems with the Beta version. I don't know what
do
and
can't even keep up with the location of this thread.

Rebecca

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

That's because, like everyone else in this thread, you have
left
out
too
much information to figure out your specific problem. The
answer to
this
question requires that we know from what version of Outlook you
migrated
and
how you migrated your data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rebecca" wrote in message
I am confused by the answers here. One says that all is lost,
the
other
says
there is a simple solution. I downloaded the trial 2007 (I
had
XP
service
pack 2) and now my very important distribution list is gone.
am
not
so
computer literate, so is there a step-by-step way to find my
list?

Rebecca

"Brian Tillman" wrote:

tupela_damon wrote:

Question below--

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Ask in an Outlook group how to import contacts from O2000
O2007
in Vista. They can probably indicate what files you need
copy
over.

There's no reason to import Contacts. In Outlook 2007, open
the
OL
2000
PST
and simply copy the contacts from the old Contacts folder to
the
new
one.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 23rd 07, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Brian Tillman

Steve Cochran wrote:

That may be true for Outlook, but its never been that way with OE.

Well, OE's a different program. What you say here is like saying, "Well,
automobiles can break down, but it's never been that way with trees."
--
Brian Tillman