MS Outlook XP not remenbering the e-mail account password

Old February 5th 07, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Steve Cochran

Default MS Outlook XP not remenbering the e-mail account password

It won't hurt to ask in both places, since no one seems to have a solution.

Right hand / Left hand situation.

steve

"Carsten" wrote in message
I tried that. But nothing so far. The reason why I am here is that this
seems
to be a Vista issue. It all works well in Windows XP. So I am hoping you
guys
here are more likely to figure it out. Wrong?

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

Ask in the Outlook newsgroups. Its their product that is not working.

steve

"Carsten" wrote in message
I tried that. I doesn't work. Any other ideas?

"ironside431" wrote:

Steve -- had forgotten about the taking ownership "function." The
error didn't tell me that the account didn't "own" it, but I may give
that a try. Thanks for the info.

Regards, Clive

On Jan 29, 6:51 pm, "Steve Cochran" wrote:
Well, since you got 2007, the point is moot, but I think you would
have
needed to take ownership of the registry key and then you could have
deleted
it.

cheers,

steve

"ironside431" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

First of all, thanks Denis and Steve for your replies.

Denis -- After removing Office 2002, for grins I installed a trial
version of Office 2007 Standard to try and isolate the problem as
Vista or Office, and Outlook 2007 works just fine; no problems
with
remembering any of the email passwords.

Steve -- I already tried that procedure you linked to. Vista
would
not let me remove that key. Don't remember exactly would it told
me
but It was something like "Vista is unable to remove the key you
specified." I was in the Admin account, but not in safe mode.

I did try (prior to the install of Office 2007) to remove all the
old
pst and account references, but Office XP found them. Don't know
where else Vista hides them, but did follow the path listed in
Outlook
2002, so I though that I found it. After uninstalling Office
2002, I
again attempted to purge all the pst's and account references
hoping
to start with a clean slate but Office 2007 even it was able to
find
the "old" data (must not be looking in the right place). That
happened on both the Vista accounts I have set up -- one Admin and
one
Limited. When I initially fired up Outlook 2007, it asked for the
passwords on the each of the accounts (since the previous software
refused to remember them), and it has remembered them since
(including
several logoffs and reboots).

If I had hair to pull out, I'd be doing so but I'm afraid nature
beat
Outlook to it!!

Things that make you go mmmmmmm.....

Regards, Clive

On Jan 29, 11:29 am, "Steve Cochran" wrote:
Well, since its Office XP, it probably still uses the protected
storage
provider.

Try the instructions here for Win XP and see if it makes any
difference.
Make sure you backup the keys before you do any deletion.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684/en-us

steve

"ironside431" wrote in
oglegroups.com...

Hi Steve,

I did try disabling the anti-virus (NOD32) and even uninstalled
it
see if that made a difference, but no luck. Have tried
removing
the
account, uninstalling Outlook and re-installing, and even
uninstalling
MS Office and re-installing -- no luck as well. Outlook kept
"remembering" the account info -- pst file and account data.
Late
yesterday, I think I finally found all the places that Vista
hid
the
Outlook data (under Roaming and Local in the Apps folder), and
have
deleted all the account info. Will try again today to install
everything and see if that works. Also am considering doing a
Repair
re-install of Vista Business to see if there is a corrupted
file
that
it would be replace by doing so (perhaps its a Vista problem).
Will
post later to and let you know if it works. Any other ideas
would
be
appreciated. Thanks -- Clive

On Jan 29, 7:19 am, "Steve Cochran"
wrote:
Do you have antivirus software? Try disabling that if so and
then try
removing your account, closing Outlook and reopening it and
then
adding
the
account back again. See if that works with the AV disabled.

steve

"ironside431" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

Update -- have used the MS Office repair function, then
uninstalled
and reinstalled Outlook, and then uninstalled and
reinstalled
the
entire Office suite -- still no change in the inabilty for
Outlook
remember account passwords. Vista has no problems with
remembering
passwords for Windows Mail (the "new" OE). Regards, Clive

On Jan 28, 12:13 pm, ironside431
wrote:
Thanks -- have done so just now. Regards, Clive

"Steve Cochran" wrote:
You might ask in an Outlook NG.

steve

"ironside431"
wrote
in
message
Hello -- I'm having the same problem with Vista
Business.
Outlook
won't
remember any of the email passwords on any of the
accounts:
Admin,
Limited,
etc. Any suggestions for a solution please!!

Regards, Clive

"Christopher Smith" wrote:

After installing Vista, I have been unable to have
Outlook XP
remember my
passwordfor any e-mail account which results in having
re-enter
the
passwordwhenever I open Outlook.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this annoying
problem.

Many thanks.

Chris Smith

Old April 10th 07, 07:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
glennm69

Hi guys,

I tried follwoing the posts about Outlook XP (2002) not remembering
passwords for email accounts after installing it under the Vista OS. From
what I have read it seems that the "solution" is to upgrade Office to a later
version. Does anyone have anything specific that will work for this problem?

The first time this happened to me I tried useing Windows Mail provided with
Vista. It gave an immediate error message when propmted to send/receive
messages. There were no errors listed in the details, however Windows Mail
would not query my email server period.

I attempted to recover by restoring Vista to the last restore point prior to
installing OfficeXP (2002). Vista locked up during the restore process and I
had to reinstall Vista. Lost a lot of data on my hard drive as a result.

Frustration sets in here and and would really love to find the solution to
this one.

Thanks,

Glenn
--
Glenn

Old April 10th 07, 07:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Nope, just have to move to a later version.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com