Managing large & many PST files

Old January 18th 07, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Rick

Default Managing large & many PST files

My job requires that I keep a large amount of email readily available
including when I travel away from my office - Outlook is setup for Exchange
and we're limited to approx 250MB for our online/exchange email file. My
normal plan is that as I read emails, I move them into different PST files -
one each for major company divisions, projects, etc... As a result, I have
12 PST files all of which are 1.5-3MB each. Our network backup program will
not backup anything over 4MB so I don't have the option of having a fewer
number of larger PST files.

As a result, Outlook is very slow to open...I've created shortcuts but
they're lost when I close the individual PST file. Is there a way to keep
the shortcuts even when the PST file is closed? That way, I could maintain
a set of shortcuts & drag emails to it.

I do realize that I can open/close the PST file each time I need to move the
email to one of its folders...but hoping for a more efficient way.

Thanks,

Rick

Old January 18th 07, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
FreeComputerConsultant.com

No chance of telling your company's IT to get with it, I suppose?

Just wondering out loud; could you setup each company as a different
outlook profile, with a separate email address? I haven't ever tried it,
but is it possible to have multiple copies of Outlook open using
different profiles?

Then you could always forward emails to the correct "company" email
address, or perhaps even receive them in directly if given the
opportunity to have others use those email addresses.

Just a thought.

www.FreeComputerConsultant.com

Old January 18th 07, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

No, only one profile can be active at one time.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, FreeComputerConsultant.com asked:

Old January 19th 07, 03:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Rick

"No chance of telling your company's IT to get with it, I suppose?" -
No...but it was good for a laugh.

Maybe I can ask my can ask my question differently...is it possible to
create a shortcut that links either to a specific folder or to a PST file
that isn't actually currently open within Outlook?

All of my email comes through a single exchange account...I'm just trying to
figure out an easy/efficient way to move emails to the appropriate folders
within the 12+ PST files. I realize they can all be open but that makes it
take 1-2 minutes for OL to load up.

Thanks,

Rick