Signing outlook email

Old November 17th 06, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Rich Raffenetti

Default Signing outlook email

Through empirical tests we find that Outlook is unable to use an email
signing certificate to sign email. What it takes is a cert that includes
email encryption or an additional cert for email encryption.

This seems to be a failure of Outlook and I would like either to confirm
this or learn that others are not having this issue. It's certainly
possible that we have some configuration problem. The error we receive from
Outlook is that the cert is invalid.

With a cert that is for both signing and encryption, I can send email with
Outlook with only signing or with only encryption or both. However, we are
not ready to have users send encrypted email and do not wish to hand them a
cert with encryption capability.

Old November 18th 06, 04:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Scot Rose

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...423541033.aspx

By its nature a Certificate contains an encryption key. If you set up for
signing the same key can be used for encrypting.

What is the actual error?

Scot

Old November 18th 06, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Rich Raffenetti

The exact message is "Microsoft Office Outlook could not sign or encrypt
your message because your certificate is not valid."