Of2007 Silver Scheme

Old November 17th 06, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
C. Moya

Default Of2007 Silver Scheme

Am I the only that thinks Office 2007's silver scheme in ribbon apps looks
"dirty?" I don't know it just looks.... um, not very good. It's not the same
color set as Office 2003's silver colors (at least it doesn't seem so)...
and it's definately not the same color set as XP's standard shiny Silver
Scheme (which I think is perfect IMHO).

Everytime I look at an Office 2007 app on my desktop I get sleepy. Something
about it. I dunno...

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Old November 17th 06, 12:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
C. Moya

OK. I think I realized it's not so much the color scheme as the fact that
TEXT all over the place (ribbon, status bar, even the title bar(!)) is a
dark gray. IMHO this doesn't have the effect that I think the designers
intended (to soften the look and feel). It instead makes it hard on the eyes
and seem.... sorta dirty (dusty, old, etc.).

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Old November 17th 06, 04:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
Steve Rindsberg

In article , C. Moya wrote:
Am I the only that thinks Office 2007's silver scheme in ribbon apps looks
"dirty?"

Perhaps not, but at this point it's a done deal. Not much to be done about it.

And in any case, this group is a collection of users and volunteers; MS gives
us the sandbox but doesn't join in our playtime here. We're pretty sympathetic
to a bit of needed venting, but can't do much beyond lend a sympathetic ear and
offer the occasional "Hear, hear". ;-)

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Old November 17th 06, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
C. Moya

Eh... I was just wonder if maybe my eyes were going... in my old age. :-)
The dk-gray text on the lt-gray background is just annoying me. In all my UI
learnings I always thought that was definately a no-no.

I thought Office XP/2002's (and VStudio 2003) two-toned silver flat toolbar
got everything right... easy on the eyes and pleasing. Office 2003 (and
VStudio 2005) are a bit on the gaudy and ugly side (aside from the initial
"gee-whiz" cool factor). But Office 2007's silver takes the cake in
uglliness IMHO.

*sigh*

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Old November 17th 06, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
darkrats

Has anyone given some thought to how these Office 2007 themes are applied.
The change is instant, so I'm assuming the colors etc are stored somewhere,
and one only has to change a registry setting or some such thing to make the
effect. If this is the cast, and either MS will show us how, or someone can
find the files, we could color or theme our Office 2007 anyway we wanted.
Any thoughts on this? Maybe a MVP could suggest this to someone who can
really listen at MS.

Old November 17th 06, 06:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
C. Moya

According to a blog by Jensen, the Office UI Program Manager,
(http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/) there was all sorts of Rocket Science to
make Office 2007's color schemes. They're not simple color1-to-color2
gradients. Yeah yeah yeah. If you ask me- you could not tell by looking at
the Silver scheme. I haven't worked with Blue long enough, but it didn't
look earth-shattering either... at least nothing worth the aggravation of a
madly inconsistent UI experience.

P.S.
I wonder what the few folks who run XP's Olive's scheme must feel.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Old November 17th 06, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
Echo S

"darkrats" wrote in message

Any thoughts on this? Maybe a MVP could suggest this to someone who can
really listen at MS.

catty

I'm not convinced that the UI team at MS listens to much of anybody.

/catty

Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/powerpointannoy/

Old November 17th 06, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
C. Moya

They listen to focus groups. Like Coca Cola did in 1985.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Old November 17th 06, 07:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

MS has said before that no one will be able to change the theme.
And just to echo Echo's sentiment, Office 2007 is done and this is what
it will look and feel like until the next version comes out. MVP or not,
you can complain and suggest as much as you want, the effect will
probably be barely noticeable...

For all the UI issues (inconsistencies etc), you can either learn to
live with it, find some workaround or just not use Office 2007. MS won't
change anything.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

:

Old November 17th 06, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.powerpoint
C. Moya

You're probably right. But my feeling is that MS is on the ropes in many
ways. It would behoove them to add a little spring to their step. Office
2007 has the potential of being a huge disaster.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

: