Error on Importing PST file

Old January 17th 06, 10:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ksaki

Default Error on Importing PST file

Hi there,
I was just importing a 2003PST file to my existing OutlookXP - but this give
me an error "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to
use"
I don't know I am stuck - how can I use this file now? help me

Ksaki
Old January 17th 06, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Anver

Dear,
Outlook 2003 .pst files are in Unicode format and support multilingual data,
The .pst files in earlier versions of Outlook are not in Unicode format and
do not support multilingual data.

See the following MS Article - and follow as listed.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=909637

Hope this helps you more
Regards
APK

Old January 17th 06, 01:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Copy the .pst file to your hard drive and remove the read only check mark
from its properties. If the .pst file is in Outlook 2003 format (unicode)
you need to move it to a 97-2002 format by creating a new .pst in Outlook
2002-97 format within Outlook 2003 and move your data to that file.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Ksaki asked:

Old January 17th 06, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Ksaki wrote:

I was just importing a 2003PST file to my existing OutlookXP - but
this give me an error "Properties for this information service must
be defined prior to use"
I don't know I am stuck - how can I use this file now? help me

See if this helps:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/d...utlook2003.htm
--
Brian Tillman
Old February 3rd 06, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
salim

You will not be able to use Outlook 2003 PST with Outlook xp because they
are not compatible.
workaround : From outlook 2003 click on FILENEWOUTLOOK DATA FILE and
choose outlook 97-2002 personal folder file (.pst) . once you have the new
pst created import the 2003 data in it and then you can use this NEW PST
with outlook xp.

salim

Old December 7th 11, 12:35 PM
alexiarudolf alexiarudolf is offline
Junior Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksaki View Post
Hi there,
I was just importing a 2003PST file to my existing OutlookXP - but this give
me an error "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to
use"
I don't know I am stuck - how can I use this file now? help me

Ksaki
hi,

importing from outlook 2003 to outlook xp which is also familiar as outlook 2000 is tricky because the file format of outlookxp is ANSI whereas the Outlook 2003 uses unicode file format.
you can follow these steps:
1. Copy the .pst file to your hard drive and remove the read only check mark from its properties.
2. Since the .pst file is in Outlook 2003 format (unicode), you need to move it to a 97-2002 format by creating a new .pst in Outlook 97-2002 format within Outlook 2003 and move your data to that file.

By the way always make the backup copy first before doing such a critical processes.