Backing up outlook

Old September 8th 06, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nate Rosenthal

Default Backing up outlook

I have been using outlook for my business and basically store important
emails and attachments in it. What is the best way to create a backup for
safekeeping?

Old September 8th 06, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Same way as you backup your other data
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
or use the free MS Outlook Backup addin, located on MS OL site

. ..

Old September 8th 06, 05:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nate Rosenthal

Thanks. There is archive.pst and outlook.pst. The outlook one is bigger.
What is the difference?

Old September 8th 06, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

I have been using Microsofts Outlook backup utility for a few years now
with good results.

It will schedule your daily backups to where ever you define your data
to backup to, each day you shutdown Outlook.

I then use Acronis True Image 9.0 to backup my data files daily, as
well as an image of my drive.

Your PST file is your active Outlook working data. The archive file is
really just that, an archive of old static data that you want to keep
separately from the current active data. I only use and backup the
..pst file, but that is personal choice. I'm sure some people maintain
an archive file too.

Old September 8th 06, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jeff B.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d=8b081f3a-b7d...

It will schedule your daily backups to where ever you define your data
to backup to, each day you shutdown Outlook.

I then use Acronis True Image 9.0 to backup my data files daily, as
well as an image of my drive.

Your Outlook.pst file is your active Outlook working data. The
archive.pst file is
really just that, an archive of old static data that you want to keep
separately from the current active data. I only use and backup the
Outlook.pst file, but that is personal choice. I'm sure some people
maintain
an archive.pst file too.

Old September 8th 06, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

wrote in message
ups.com...

The archive file is really just that, an archive of old static data that
you want to keep
separately from the current active data. I only use and backup the
.pst file, but that is personal choice. I'm sure some people maintain
an archive file too.

The archive pst is a relic of the 2 GB pst file limit - with the new Unicode
format there's really no need to use an archive file at all now.......

Old September 8th 06, 07:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

The outlook.pst is the default data file, the archive.pst is the default
archive data file
If you need to access the archive, simply open it within OL - its just
another data store

Old September 9th 06, 01:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
JAF

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:15:25 -0400, "Nate Rosenthal"
wrote:

I have been using outlook for my business and basically store important
emails and attachments in it. What is the best way to create a backup for
safekeeping?

I have just starting using Outlook, and have followed the back up
threads with interest.

Let me make sure of something: everyone says the backup utility in
Outlook is great.

But, an here is the big BUT, has anyone who has used the backup
utility completely lost a hard drive, had to install Outlook from
scratch, and then was able to restore and use the data files produced
by the Outlook backup utility?

I live in a very lightning prone area, and despite having very good
UPSs, about once every three years I lose a hard drive due to power
fluctuations caused by lightning, or at least I think that is what is
happening.

At any rate, I do lose a hard drive once every three years.

I have been using Lotus Notes, and Notes uses a nsf file to hold mail,
calendar, etc. Only once have I had to completely restore a mail
file, but it worked well with Notes. I simply installed Notes on a
new drive, loaded up my back up copy of the mail file, or nsf, and,
viola, everything worked like a champ.

Now that I have seen the light, and have moved over to Outlook, which
I like a lot by the way, I want to make sure BEFORE I have to restore
a file, that I do the proper steps to having a good backup file.

Any thoughts, tips, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

JAF
http://www.bscinc.net
http://www.affordablefloridainsurance.com
http://www.discountdrivingschool.com

Old September 9th 06, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Export and Import should never be used to backup Outlook data. It will
always lose data and will often corrupt it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]