Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - General Queries (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-general-queries/)
-   -   1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File) (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-general-queries/25783-1000-messages-deleted-sent-folder.html)

Benabd September 1st 06 12:25 PM

1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File)

Hello everybody,

I have had more than 1000 messages deleted from the sent folder of my
default PST file. Just discovered that and did not understand how it
happened.

I checked the "deleted item recovery" tool of Outlook without any
result. I am using Outlook 2000 connected to Exchange 2000 mailbox
under Windows 2000 SP4.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Karim

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] September 1st 06 12:54 PM

1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File)

AutoArchive perhaps?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] September 1st 06 03:57 PM

1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File)

In ps.com,
Benabd typed:
Hello everybody,

I have had more than 1000 messages deleted from the sent folder of my
default PST file. Just discovered that and did not understand how it
happened.

I checked the "deleted item recovery" tool of Outlook without any
result. I am using Outlook 2000 connected to Exchange 2000 mailbox
under Windows 2000 SP4.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Karim

If you're using a PST file, you can't use "Recover Deleted Items" even if
Deleted Item Retention has been configured on the server (note: it is not
enabled by default). Sue's suggestion to check your autoarchive settings
sounds like a very good one to me.

What's the reason you are using a PST file anyway? It can't be included in
your Exchange backups, and you can't access it using OWA or anything like
that. I strongly suggest you stop using PST files for your 'live' data and
if you must use them at all, manually move old items to PST files for
archiving, rather than using autoarchive.

If it doesn't turn out that autoarchive is the culprit, and you don't have a
backup of your PST file from before this happened, you're SOL, I'm afraid.

Benabd September 1st 06 06:21 PM

1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File)

Yes, it was autoarchiving.
Thanks Sue.

Benabd September 1st 06 06:54 PM

1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File)

Thanks for your recommandations. I will pass them on to our IT guys.

Regards,
Karim

BTW, what does SOL stand for?

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] September 2nd 06 01:42 AM

1000 Messages deleted from sent folder (PST File)

SOL = "Surely" Out of Luck (substitued politically correst adjective for the
obvious.)

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Benabd asked: