Automating task window generation?

Old August 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
StargateFanFromWork

Default Automating task window generation?

Is there any way to generate a TASK like we can generate an email compose
window via MAILTO? The tricks I've learned in last few days re mailto have
allowed me to delete all my email template files that I accessed via
buttons, because I ended up just putting some pretty neat mailto code on
those buttons instead. But I have a need to have a TASK available via a
button in a similar way.

Thanks. D

Old August 17th 06, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

StargateFanFromWork wrote:

Is there any way to generate a TASK like we can generate an email
compose window via MAILTO? The tricks I've learned in last few days
re mailto have allowed me to delete all my email template files that
I accessed via buttons, because I ended up just putting some pretty
neat mailto code on those buttons instead. But I have a need to have
a TASK available via a button in a similar way.

The best you can do, I believe, is to create a shortcut using Outlook's /c
IPM.Task command line switch. It will open a new task. See Help in
Outlook, searching for "command line".
--
Brian Tillman

Old August 17th 06, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
StargateFanFromWork

"Brian Tillman" wrote in message
StargateFanFromWork wrote:

Is there any way to generate a TASK like we can generate an email
compose window via MAILTO? The tricks I've learned in last few days
re mailto have allowed me to delete all my email template files that
I accessed via buttons, because I ended up just putting some pretty
neat mailto code on those buttons instead. But I have a need to have
a TASK available via a button in a similar way.

The best you can do, I believe, is to create a shortcut using Outlook's /c
IPM.Task command line switch. It will open a new task. See Help in
Outlook, searching for "command line".
--
Brian Tillman

Hey, something new. Neat. Nothing in the help, btw. I'm using O2K, which
I should have mentioned, so that may be why there's nothing for this.
Perhaps it's O2003, etc., where something comes up in help under "command
line".

I went to the archives and found reference to this type of code:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task"

Thinking it was similar to what I do to pull up docts, I just plugged it
into a new button in the hyperlink part but when clicked I got the message:

"Outlook cannot launch an application to handle:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task". The URL may be incorrect,
or you may need to install an application to handle this type of URL." The
path to the EXE is the one for this computer, so that part is okay.

My goal is to get rid of all the references in my toolbar needing actual
templates. I carry around a batch of them and each new contract have to
plug them into the templates folder. Yesterday, I got rid of them all, but
one, with the mailto coding. Totall awesome. So I'm determined to get rid
of everything so that the issue of O2K templates is one less thing to worry
about at each new contract.

Can you advise if it's just a version thing or if the error message is true?
Also, if I cannot populate any of the major fields (I don't even need
date/time, just some simple text in subject and part of body), then I'm no
further ahead than the new TASK button I already have on my toolbar. It's
making a button on the bar that would open up the task and populate subject
and part of body fields for me _without_ the use of a template that is my
goal.

Thanks! D

Old August 18th 06, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
StargateFanFromWork

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a better Outlook ng to ask this question to? Tx.

Old August 18th 06, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

StargateFanFromWork wrote:

Hey, something new. Neat. Nothing in the help, btw. I'm using O2K,
which I should have mentioned, so that may be why there's nothing for
this. Perhaps it's O2003, etc., where something comes up in help
under "command line".

Here's a MS link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197180/en-us . That link
also described how to find the switches in Help.
--
Brian Tillman

Old August 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
StargateFanFromWork

"Brian Tillman" wrote in message
StargateFanFromWork wrote:

Hey, something new. Neat. Nothing in the help, btw. I'm using O2K,
which I should have mentioned, so that may be why there's nothing for
this. Perhaps it's O2003, etc., where something comes up in help
under "command line".

Here's a MS link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/197180/en-us . That

link
also described how to find the switches in Help.
--
Brian Tillman

That's a great link to have, thanks. I found it doesn't mention the
IPM.task command, though and that it's more a general page about command
line code for Outlook in general. Going on the little that pg mentions that
is pertinent, I have the path to the EXE correct and, yes, it's enclosed
with quotation marks okay. So, so far, so good. Do you or anyone happen to
know of a webpaget that deals with how to deal task commands?

To reiterate, error I get is:
"Outlook cannot launch an application to handle ""(path to Outlook exe)".
The URL may be incorrect, or you may need to install an application to
handle this type of URL."

Also, again sorry to repeat, but I'm putting the above code in the hyperlink
box of a button on Outlook, a procedure I always use when launching apps or
open files or folders from Outlook. What I love about this is that
everything gets saved in my outcmd.dat which helps as I do contract work and
move around very much in any given year. The more I have finetuned certain
things in Outlook, the quicker and more efficiently it is to keep everything
in order.

Anyway, re the above trick, I can't see on the command line webpage any
reference to what we'd do in Outlook. Command lines codes with their
switches, of course, usu. are launched from the RUN box in the Start menu.
Hoping there's something somewhere related to using command line codes from
Outlook itself, otherwise, this defeats the purpose g.

Thanks. Much appreciated. D

Old August 18th 06, 07:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

StargateFanFromWork wrote:

I went to the archives and found reference to this type of code:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task"

Thinking it was similar to what I do to pull up docts, I just plugged
it into a new button in the hyperlink part but when clicked I got the
message:

"Outlook cannot launch an application to handle:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task".

Do you have Outlook installed in a non-default folder? Do you not have it
installed in Program Files? I hjyst tested this on a Windows 2000 system
with Outlook 2000 (in CW mode, but that shouldn't make a difference) on it.
The shortcut I used was:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /c IPM.Task

Note that I don't have quotes aroung the whole thing, just the part
containing spaces. Also note that I used an environment variable, but
that's not important. I also could have used

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /c IPM.Task

I could also have used "-c" instead of "/c". If you've done the same thing
and get the error you get, I can't explain it.
--
Brian Tillman

Old August 19th 06, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
StargateFan

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:40:01 -0400, "Brian Tillman"
wrote:

StargateFanFromWork wrote:

I went to the archives and found reference to this type of code:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task"

Thinking it was similar to what I do to pull up docts, I just plugged
it into a new button in the hyperlink part but when clicked I got the
message:

"Outlook cannot launch an application to handle:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task".

Do you have Outlook installed in a non-default folder? Do you not have it

Yes. I install everything into one specific folder in the Program
files. A lot of things get installed by default into the PF so this
way, the apps I actually install myself are put in one more localized
spot. That shouldn't make a difference, though, I'm guessing as long
as I have the right path to the executable, which I do.

installed in Program Files? I hjyst tested this on a Windows 2000 system
with Outlook 2000 (in CW mode, but that shouldn't make a difference) on it.
The shortcut I used was:

"%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /c IPM.Task

Note that I don't have quotes aroung the whole thing, just the part

No, neither do I, just to enclose the path. As I mentioned, I have
the code line as per the example and that wasn't encapsulated with
quotation marks in its entirety, only the path.

containing spaces. Also note that I used an environment variable, but
that's not important. I also could have used

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /c IPM.Task

I could also have used "-c" instead of "/c". If you've done the same thing
and get the error you get, I can't explain it.

Well, neither can I. Hmmm ...

But this still hasn't been confirmed: putting this code in the
hyperlink box should work? That's the right place for it? I ask
because the webpage given doesn't make any mention whatsoever that I
could see of doing this in Outlook itself (i.e., using hylerlink
space), and it only mentions the RUN box (again, as far as I could
see) in the START menu. For all I know, I could be putting this code
in the wrong place even though the hyperlink box is one I use all the
time.

Thanks once again. D

Old August 21st 06, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

StargateFan wrote:

Yes. I install everything into one specific folder in the Program
files.

However, C:\Office2000 is NOT a specific folder in Program Files. So, which
is it?

In your earlier note you said:

I went to the archives and found reference to this type of code:
""C:\Office2000\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE" /c IPM.Task"

Sure looks like the whole thing is enclosed in quotes to me.

But this still hasn't been confirmed: putting this code in the
hyperlink box should work?

What "hyperlink box"? I thought you were asking about creating a desktop
shortcut that works similar to a mailto desktop shortcut would work.
Perhaps I don't understand what you're asking.
--
Brian Tillman