Outlook on XP doesn't recover all emails in pst file from Windows 2000

Old August 15th 06, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default Outlook on XP doesn't recover all emails in pst file from Windows 2000

I have pst files which have emails from around 2001 to the present. In
Sept 2005 I swicthed over to a machine running Windows 2000. Now that
machine died so I swicthed to a notebook running XP Home. When I copied
the pst files to the Local Settings/App data/Microsoft/Outlook folder,
everything is there from 2001 through Sept 2005, but there is nothing
showing up from Sept 2005 to the present. I am sure hundreds of emails
in the period Sept 2005 to Aug 2006 are in those pst files. The one
called mailbox.pst has a modified date of Aug 2006. And yet none of the
past year's emails show up in Outlook. What to do?

Old August 15th 06, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

Default Outlook on XP doesn't recover all emails in pst file from Windows

What size is the PST?
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

Old August 16th 06, 12:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

mailbox.pst 420 MB is the most recently modified file (8/06). There's
an archive.pst 292 MB (modified 7/06). There's outlook.pst 244 MB
(modified 12/05).

K. Orland wrote:
What size is the PST?
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

Old August 16th 06, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Brian Tillman wrote:
wrote:

I have pst files which have emails from around 2001 to the present. In
Sept 2005 I swicthed over to a machine running Windows 2000. Now that
machine died so I swicthed to a notebook running XP Home. When I
copied the pst files to the Local Settings/App data/Microsoft/Outlook
folder,

Wrong thing to do. You may have either overwritten a more recent PST
containing the information you want or damaged youe mail profile so that it
is not able to find the PST with the information you want.

Huh? I copied it into the folder on a machine that had never had Office
installed on it before. I installed Office, then copied the pst files,
which is what MS and MVP's said to do. There were no emails to
overwrite in that freshly installed Outlook.

So, look to see if you have any additional PSTs and open them
(FileOpenOutlook Data File) to see if they contain the data you seek. And
next time, migrate your data correctly.

Brian, what kind of reply is that? Is it helpful? No, because it
obviously begs the question of what is the 'right way'. So, wouldn't it
be helpful to inform me what is the right away (according to you)? I
tried opening the files from the FileOpenOutlook Data File but
nothing happened when I did that. So I copied the pst files into the
directory and everything showed up prior to 9/11/05, which is the date
the previous computer crashed and I switched over to a different
version of Outlook on a Windows 2000 computer.

Old August 16th 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

wrote:

Huh? I copied it into the folder on a machine that had never had
Office installed on it before. I installed Office, then copied the
pst files, which is what MS and MVP's said to do. There were no
emails to overwrite in that freshly installed Outlook.

Let me rephrase, then. Do not copy a PST into the default folder where
Outlook normally creates them.

Brian, what kind of reply is that? Is it helpful? No, because it
obviously begs the question of what is the 'right way'.

Documented in this group HUNDREDS of times., if you'd use search before
asking. See this:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

So, wouldn't
it be helpful to inform me what is the right away (according to you)?
I tried opening the files from the FileOpenOutlook Data File but
nothing happened when I did that. So I copied the pst files into the
directory and everything showed up prior to 9/11/05, which is the date
the previous computer crashed and I switched over to a different
version of Outlook on a Windows 2000 computer.

And WHICH of the three PSTs you name did Outlook open at that point? If you
had later data that you could see before copying the PST you said you
copied, and afetr the copy you can't see it, then it seems fairly obvious
you either overwrote the PST containing that more recent data (in which case
it may be gone) or you caused the mail profile to examine a different PST
that the one you had been using. Examining each of the PSTs you have by
opening each that is not currently opened will tell you which of those two
possibilities is the current reality.
--
Brian Tillman

Old August 19th 06, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Documented in this group HUNDREDS of times., if you'd use search before
asking. See this:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Well I did search but didn't find that. Thank you.

And WHICH of the three PSTs you name did Outlook open at that point?

I opened each one in turn. In each case I couldn't see anything. It was
as if I hadn't issued the open command at all. Maybe I just didn't look
right after opening the file. But anyway it is clear that mailbox.pst
is the one that contains the recent missing emails.

If you
had later data that you could see before copying the PST you said you
copied, and afetr the copy you can't see it, then it seems fairly obvious
you either overwrote the PST containing that more recent data (in which case
it may be gone) or you caused the mail profile to examine a different PST
that the one you had been using. Examining each of the PSTs you have by
opening each that is not currently opened will tell you which of those two
possibilities is the current reality.

No, you still don't get what happened. I just copied the pst's into the
default folder in a brand new installation of outlook. I didn't
overwrite anything because there was nothing there to overwrite.
Actually the pst's from the old computer are on a dvd-r so there's no
way they can be overwritten.