Digital ID name not found error in Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange 2000

Old August 9th 06, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.clients,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.security.crypto
Brian Tillman

Default Digital ID name not found error in Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange 2000

Clyde wrote:

I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
first time for digital signature and encrypted email. When I try to
send email with my digital signature I get the error:

Your Digital ID name can not be found
by the underlying security system

I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
system reboots after removal) with no change.

Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign. The latter uses your
certificate, but the former does not. If you are trying to encrypt a
message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient in
your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.
--
Brian Tillman

Old August 9th 06, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.clients,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.security.crypto
Clyde

"Brian Tillman" wrote:
Clyde wrote:
I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
first time for digital signature and encrypted email. When I try to
send email with my digital signature I get the error:

Your Digital ID name can not be found
by the underlying security system

I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
system reboots after removal) with no change.

Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign. The latter uses your
certificate, but the former does not. If you are trying to encrypt a
message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient in
your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.

I'm tring to digitally sign a message. It appears that I can send an
encrypted email message to my email account fine.

Old August 10th 06, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.clients,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.security.crypto
Arek Iskra [MVP]

"Clyde" wrote in message
"Brian Tillman" wrote:
Clyde wrote:
I'm installing company issued certificates in Outlook 2003 for the
first time for digital signature and encrypted email. When I try to
send email with my digital signature I get the error:

Your Digital ID name can not be found
by the underlying security system

I have removed and reinstalled these certs several times (including
system reboots after removal) with no change.

Which are you trying to do, encrypt or digitally sign. The latter uses
your
certificate, but the former does not. If you are trying to encrypt a
message and you do not have the certificate (public key) of the recipient
in
your security subsystem, you will see exactly the message you see.

I'm tring to digitally sign a message. It appears that I can send an
encrypted email message to my email account fine.

Check out if this helps:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/5555...d=2520&sid=139

--
Arek Iskra
MVP for Windows Server - Software Distribution

Old August 10th 06, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.clients,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.security.crypto
Clyde

"Arek Iskra [MVP]" wrote:
"Clyde" wrote in message
.. .
"Brian Tillman" wrote:
Clyde wrote:
[...]

Problem is I can't even send a digitally signed message to myself,
much less anyone else. I can however send an encrypted message to
myself when I look myself up on the LDAP server.

Old August 11th 06, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.clients,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.security.crypto
Brian Tillman

Clyde wrote:

Problem is I can't even send a digitally signed message to myself,
much less anyone else. I can however send an encrypted message to
myself when I look myself up on the LDAP server.

Click ToolsOptionsSecuritySettings. Are the "Security Settings Name" and
"Cryptography Format" drop-downs set correctly? In IE click ToolsInternet
OptionsContentCertificates. Do you see your certificate?
--
Brian Tillman

Old August 11th 06, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.exchange.clients,microsoft.public.exchange2000.clients,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.security.crypto
Clyde

"Brian Tillman" wrote:
Clyde wrote:

Problem is I can't even send a digitally signed message to myself,
much less anyone else. I can however send an encrypted message to
myself when I look myself up on the LDAP server.

Click ToolsOptionsSecuritySettings. Are the "Security Settings Name" and
"Cryptography Format" drop-downs set correctly? In IE click ToolsInternet
OptionsContentCertificates. Do you see your certificate?

Yes, all the settings in the Security tab are correct and I have
certificates set for both signing and encrypting.