Outlook has experienced a problem and needs to close....

Old July 18th 06, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
austinassman

Default Outlook has experienced a problem and needs to close....

About 3 or 4 days ago, I get that message every time I start Outlook
2000. This appears to have begun immediately after an automatic Windows
Update. When I click for "more information" I get the following.

AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.2416 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.2180 Offset: 00037efe

If anyone can help me to fix this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old July 18th 06, 08:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Have you tried running Detect and Repair?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, austinassman asked:

Old July 25th 06, 02:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Randy

Milly,

I have tried that and still get the same message. Any other suggestions?
After numerous emails with Microsoft, I was finally able to apply all the
current updates and security patches for Office 2000, but none of that has
solved my problem.

Thanks,

Randy

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

Have you tried running Detect and Repair?

--Â

Old August 21st 06, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patti

Did you ever figure out the problem?

I have the same issue and it started last Saturday 8/19/06 after a windows
update also.

Patti

Old August 22nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Randy

Patti,

There is a file called outcmd.dat. I renamed it as outcmd.old, and if i
recall, i had to re-install after that. everything has worked fine since
then. you may want to backup all your contacts, notes, appointments, etc.,
before you do that because i lost all mine. i was able to retrieve them from
a prior backup. i don't recall what the files are, but you should be able to
search microsoft to find out what you need to back them up. hope that helps.

randy

Old August 22nd 06, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Renaming outcmd.dat does not lose all of your data nor does it require a
reinstall. All it does is reset your toolbars to the default, allowing
Outlook to open without the long delay building toolbars that have been
damaged. If you had to reinstall, you renamed/deleted more than this one
file.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Randy asked: