Reduce gigantic icon size in 2007 beta?

Old May 28th 06, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Melelina

Default Reduce gigantic icon size in 2007 beta?

Is there a way in Outlook 2007 beta to reduce the size of the icons in the
Navigation pane and across the top of the page? They are GIGANTIC. Horrible
looking. It makes Outlook appear to be a comic book instead of a business
application. I will never use this version of Outlook (or Word for that
matter) if I can't reduce the icon size to very small, neat and nice
looking. I also cannot see how to reduce the font size for the listings in
the Navigation pane. That is also way too large.

I like the size of the icons on the top of the "inbox page". Those are nice
and small and neat. I hate the gigantic size icons on the "new message" page
though. Why are those so huge? I don't have a vision problem with icons. I
assume Microsoft must think everyone has low vision and thus needs gigantic
icons. How do I change the size of the icons in the Navigation pane and on
pages such as "new message" so they are very small and don't take up such a
ridiculous amount of room?

Old May 28th 06, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

only by changing the window size or your resolution.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Old May 28th 06, 10:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Melelina

Well, then I'm out of here. You are telling me that Office 2007 will not
allow the classic look? I understand that Vista will so why won't Office and
why doesn't it do so in the beta version? That is the problem. I don't use
XP look. I use classic and that allows me to choose smaller icons. It
doesn't have much to do with window size or the screen resolution although
XP does force, even in classic look, larger icons than 98SE where they can
be made as tiny as you want (but this is partly because XP doesn't allow you
to make the task bar extremely narrow like 98SE does). XP look doesn't allow
small icons because it is intended for children who like cartoons and for
the visually impaired as gigantic icons are not needed by persons with
normal vision. I gather Vista is the same but it will allow for the classic
look for those who can't stand XP and Vista looks is what I have read so
Office 2007 should also. It doesn't matter that much to me as I see that DRM
is part of Office 2007 and that is that. I'm off to learn Linux for many
reasons (Microsoft's insistence that they need to check every few minutes to
see if I am an honest person or not is enough to make any self respecting
person leave Windows as soon as they master another operating system).

Old May 28th 06, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

No, Office 2007 does not allow for the classic look. If all you care about
is the GUI and not the improved access to and exposure of features that one
had to hunt for, if one even knew they existed, then I am sure that this
suite is a disappointment to you.

However, for many of us, me included, I have found it to be far more
responsive and usable than previous versions of Office. I have been able
to accomplish some things I did not know existed with only one or two mouse
clicks.

This is far more valuable to me than the "window dressing" but YMMV.

By the way, good luck with Linux. I am sure they will be happy to welcome
another Microsoft user to their ranks. eg

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Melelina asked:

Old May 29th 06, 11:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Melelina

I have never used Outlook or Office before (just OE and Word) so I wouldn't
know how difficult it was to find something in earlier versions of Office. I
didn't even know that Outlook can't do NGs. I was just curious about Office
and thought I might some day want to purchase it so I downloaded the 2007
beta to see what Office is all about. I am not a bit impressed. Comic book
GUIs just don't do it for me and are unworthy of Microsoft unless they
intend Office 2007 to be for kids. The GUI is the most important element in
any piece of software. Surely, I don't need to point that out. I won't be
using IE7 (which I have tested) either because of the horrible GUI. I could
get used to most of that terribly awkward GUI but not the placement of the
refresh button in the most stupid of locations. I won't be using Vista
either partly because of its horrible GUI.

As for moving to Linux, that sadly is not a choice but mandatory now and
everyone I know has already moved or is moving (or buying Apple computers).
When Microsoft decides that it has the right to force WGA and the WGA
notification tool on everyone (WGA is forced in the installer for IE7 - I
haven't used WU/MU for years now so I haven't been forced to acquire it
there) and assumes all its customers are thieves and checks constantly to
see if you haven't been a thief five minutes ago but are now and when WGA
from IE7 cannot be uninstalled but instead has to be cracked to kill
it...well, that is when any self respecting person who values privacy,
freedom and liberty says..."That's it. I've had enough. I can't respect
myself if I stay with MS and Intel hardware DRM chips" and one buys up
Pentium 4's before they become unavailable and moves to Linux.

Old May 29th 06, 05:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Well, since you have never used Office or Outlook before, what are you
complaining about? The GUI?

Yeah, that is the most important thing about a software program. Not
whether it works, or whether it gets your work done faster, or whether it
makes more options easilty discoverable.

No, it is whether the buttons are a few pixels too big or the colors don't
suit.

As for Microsoft trying to weed out the pirates, only those folks who have
been caught have a reason to complain about WGA or OGA (did I hear an ouch?)
Corporations have a right to protect their copyrighted and IP products or
don't you think that it should apply to MIcrosoft? If you haven't used
Windows Update or Office Update in years, how do you know what happens or
are you just parroting what your penguinista friends (all of whom have
completely abandoned the Microsoft platform/programs, yeah, right!) have
told you to say?

WGA did not start until last year and OGA did not start until a couple of
months ago. If you have not used Windows/Microsoft Update or Office Update
in years, then yes, please move to Linux as we don't need another clueless
Windows user who does not update their machine, leaves it open to viruses
and compromises, and otherwise does not know diddly about computer usage,
maintenance and security updates.

Have fun using Linux - there are many windows managers (note the use of the
small "w") so I am sure you will be able to find some eye candy that suits
your discriminating taste. And good riddance from the Windows world where
you are a blight on other users. Get used to the weekly updates from
Linux, or do you intend to blithely ignore all of those security updates as
well??

Old May 29th 06, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
SteveC

I think they ought to at least allow people to turn on the classic menu when
they cannot find something. I am getting used to it and I think it will be
good in the long run (especially talking about Word sinc Outlook isn't
really that much changed; just refined and it has the classic menu), but I
had to hunt for a long time to find Options in Word 2007. (Click the
Multicolored Office Logo in the Top Lefthand corner; it is at the bottom of
the window!)

I also didn't know that Excel and Word (and maybe the others) use a new file
format. I do hope MS will include in its Office Update for 2000 and 2003 a
mechanism so that they can open those files. Right now they don't. I made
..doc rather than .docx the default format in Word 2007 for the timebeing.

Old May 29th 06, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid

I think they ought to at least allow people to turn on the classic
menu when
they cannot find something. I am getting used to it and I think it will be
good in the long run (especially talking about Word sinc Outlook isn't
really that much changed; just refined and it has the classic menu), but I
had to hunt for a long time to find Options in Word 2007. (Click the
Multicolored Office Logo in the Top Lefthand corner; it is at the bottom of
the window!)

I guarantee you that that won't happen. There are flash presentations
online where you can click on an item in the 2003 menus and see exactly
where it is now in 2007. They are extremely useful!

I also didn't know that Excel and Word (and maybe the others) use a new file
format. I do hope MS will include in its Office Update for 2000 and 2003 a
mechanism so that they can open those files. Right now they don't. I made
.doc rather than .docx the default format in Word 2007 for the timebeing.

Word, Excel, PPT come with new XML-based file formats. MS is providing
software so that earlier Office versions (I believe starting at least
with XP, not sure about 2000) can open these. At this point, MS hasn't
announced whether this software will be provided via Microsoft Update
(Office Update) or not.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

Old May 29th 06, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

There will be no updates for Office 2000 as it has been unsupported for
quite some time now. As for the option to use classic menus, one exists.
It is called Office 2003.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, SteveC asked:

Old May 29th 06, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid

Milly is right. Only Office XP and 2003 will be supported with the
Compatibility Pack and Awareness Update

: