Cannot open copy of back up PST files from disc

Old May 15th 06, 11:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
RaymundCG

Default Cannot open copy of back up PST files from disc

Hello! Hope you could help me out on this one...

Recently I backed up my Outlook 2002 files at work (PC running on WinXP Prof
Ed) and saved them on my D:\ drive. I decided then also to burn a copy of the
back up files on disc so I can also view the files when I got back home (PC
running Outlook 2003 + WinXP Home Ed). However I can't open the back up files
from the disc (denied access). Need help/work arounds to overcome this.

--
Thank you very much!
Old May 15th 06, 12:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

RaymundCG wrote:
Hello! Hope you could help me out on this one...

Recently I backed up my Outlook 2002 files at work (PC running on
WinXP Prof Ed) and saved them on my D:\ drive. I decided then also to
burn a copy of the back up files on disc so I can also view the files
when I got back home (PC running Outlook 2003 + WinXP Home Ed).
However I can't open the back up files from the disc (denied access).
Need help/work arounds to overcome this.

That's quite correct. Outlook needs read/write access. Copy the files to
your HDD, remove the Read-Only attribute and open them in Outlook.

Old May 15th 06, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
RaymundCG

Hi Gordon, thanks for the reply! The procedure worked, I can now view the
files.
--
Thank you very much!

Old May 15th 06, 12:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

RaymundCG wrote:
Hi Gordon, thanks for the reply! The procedure worked, I can now view
the files.

You're welcome!

Old November 26th 06, 02:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Bob Bob

Hi Ricky

The file on the CDROM is normally marked read only. Outlook needs read
write access to work with a PST file but seems to give oblique reasons
as to why it cant use it.

Copy the file from the CD to the home hard drive then go into its
properties and remove the read only tick. Then open with Outlook..

Cheers Bob

Need help/work arounds to overcome this.
Old November 26th 06, 03:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

The reason it needs write access, among others, is that Outlook updates any items modified date when it has been accessed.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Bob Bob asked:

Old December 8th 06, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
negiti

Default Outlook send error

Anyone please,

Can you possibly lend me a hand with this issue, or point me in the
right direction?

I have two laptops both running XP OS and Office2003. One can send and
receive from Outlook to a certain account on a certain server, and the
other cannot send to the same account/server combination. ("check email
address field" error)

No degree of settings checking and rechecking yields a different result.

On advice from this group I have migrated the settings from the fully
functional PC to the hampered unit - no improvement.

I have tried the Protected Storage erase/reset fix for the Outlook 2003
password issue - no change.

Please - any movement in a positive direction will be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

-Joe
Old December 8th 06, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

negiti wrote:

I have two laptops both running XP OS and Office2003. One can send
and receive from Outlook to a certain account on a certain server,
and the other cannot send to the same account/server combination.
("check email address field" error)

No degree of settings checking and rechecking yields a different
result.

Start with a new mail profile and add your account in again, making sure ALL
the settings agree with the working PC.
--
Brian Tillman