Duplicate Messages

Old February 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Muleskinner

Default Duplicate Messages

I have seen numerous postings on this group concerning duplicate messages
being received using Outlook 2003. I also have this problem and have done
all of those things that have been suggested. Still, the problem persists.
I am getting very frustrated with Outlook and the need to delete three
quarters of my messages since they are duplicates. Yes, now I am getting
three and four copies of some messages.

In an attempt to help you help me, the following is what I see and what I
have done so far.
1. I get duplicates at the time of the download from the mail servers.
In other words, I can check my earthlink account via webmail and there
might be one message there. When I download that message via Outlook, I
will get anywhere from 2 to 4 copies of that message. After downloading
with Outlook, a check of my earthlink account will show the mail box empty.
This is the same with my other email account.
2. Duplicate messages come from two different ISPs. One is my local ISP
that allows me access to the internet via DSL connection. The other is a
volunteer group earthlink account. Not all messages from eather account
come in multiples, just some. Those that do are always the same senders.
3. I do NOT have the "Leave messages on the server" block checked for
either account.
4. I have created a NEW profile. This did not help. I did not copy my
existing profile, but created one from scratch.
5. I have created a .PRF file using the Custom Installation Wizard. No
help here either.
6. I have run the Detect and Repair option of Outlook. No help.
7. I have checked with the customer services departments of both ISPs.
They both indicate that the problem is with Outlook, not with them.

I do not want a third-party add on that probably will not fix the problem.
I want Microsoft to fix it. After all, it is their program.

Any help that this group, especially the MVPs, would be appreciated.

Frustrated Bill
Old February 19th 06, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Muleskinner wrote:

[...]

No where in here do I see where you diabled you mail scanner and increased
your server timeout values.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 20th 06, 01:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Muleskinner

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:18:11 -0500, Brian Tillman wrote:

Muleskinner wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I did reset the server timeout for each service to 3 minutes and
turned off my email virus scanner. Doing both had no effect.

Bill
Old February 20th 06, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

The minimum recommended polling interval is 10 minutes, especially if you
have multiple accounts polling.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Muleskinner asked:

Old February 20th 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Muleskinner

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 19:16:40 -0800, Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

The minimum recommended polling interval is 10 minutes, especially if you
have multiple accounts polling.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, Muleskinner asked:

| On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:18:11 -0500, Brian Tillman wrote:
|
|| Muleskinner wrote:
||| 1. I get duplicates at the time of the download from the mail
||| servers.
||| In other words, I can check my earthlink account via webmail and
||| there might be one message there. When I download that message via
||| Outlook, I will get anywhere from 2 to 4 copies of that message.
||| After downloading with Outlook, a check of my earthlink account will
||| show the mail box empty. This is the same with my other email
||| account.
||| 2. Duplicate messages come from two different ISPs. One is my
||| local ISP that allows me access to the internet via DSL connection.
||| The other is a volunteer group earthlink account. Not all messages
||| from eather account come in multiples, just some. Those that do are
||| always the same senders.
||| 3. I do NOT have the "Leave messages on the server" block checked
||| for either account.
||| 4. I have created a NEW profile. This did not help. I did not
||| copy my existing profile, but created one from scratch.
||| 5. I have created a .PRF file using the Custom Installation Wizard.
||| No help here either.
||| 6. I have run the Detect and Repair option of Outlook. No help.
||| 7. I have checked with the customer services departments of both
||| ISPs. They both indicate that the problem is with Outlook, not with
||| them.
|| No where in here do I see where you diabled you mail scanner and
|| increased your server timeout values.
|
| Sorry, I did reset the server timeout for each service to 3 minutes
| and turned off my email virus scanner. Doing both had no effect.
|
| Bill

OK, per your suggestion, I reset the server time out to 10 minutes. Guess
what? That had no effect.

Any other suggestions?

Bill