Outloot wont send or receive email

Old April 23rd 06, 01:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
LWG

Default Outloot wont send or receive email

After I applied SP2 outlook wont send or receive email. I check my
firewall and it doesnt appeart to be going out at all. I have verified
that outlook express works with the same email account information
etc.. Has anyone seen this? I get the 0x80042108 error when sending.
It says Outlook is unable to connecg to your incoming (POP3)
email-server.

you help is appreciated...
Old April 23rd 06, 05:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Did you make an exception in your firewall rules for Outlook?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, LWG asked:

Old April 23rd 06, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
LWG

Milly, thank you for the reply. I added outlook.exe to the firewall
and even tried disabling the wall all together. It is strange, like
the application is not sending out the request. I use a pix on the
outside and log everything, and I dont see the machine even try to
connect. also, the firewall log looks like this:

- - - - - - -
2006-04-23 08:17:29 OPEN TCP 192.168.1.155 65.32.5.51 1081 110 - - - -
- - - - -
2006-04-23 08:17:50 CLOSE TCP 192.168.1.155 65.32.5.51 1081 110 - - -
- - - - - -

the 65.32.5.51 is the timewarner email server.

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:21:45 -0700, "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote:

Did you make an exception in your firewall rules for Outlook?

--?

Old April 23rd 06, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
LWG

the fix for me was to remove office and reinstall. a pain but i needed
my mail. i guess i will not do any service packs for a while... Or
maybe more research on my part before i do. thx for your quick reply.

Old April 23rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Don Cossitt

Are you using Norton? Norton is a pain in the ass with MS products. I had
this very problem with 2005 only I had to re-load Norton all the time. I
vaguely remember what I did to fix it. I am at the office now - when I get
home I will review my notes and get back to you. It does have to do with a
setting in the firewall (Norton Internet Security).

doco

Old April 25th 06, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
LWG

I though I had this fixed. I removed OFFICE (oh yea!) and reinstalled
it and everything worked until I booted tonight after work. I did not
install SP2. However, when I click on help/about it indicates SP2. So,
I need to remove it somehow, that is what started this mess in the
first place. So even though I have removed office SP2 is still hanging
around. It is really wierd, using the pfirewall.log I cannot see email
requests going out in its broken state. However, when it is working I
can watch them go out. It is like outlook just wont make the request
to contact the email server.

thx for the reply, I appreciate it...

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:52:38 -0700, "Don Cossitt"
wrote:

Are you using Norton? Norton is a pain in the ass with MS products. I had
this very problem with 2005 only I had to re-load Norton all the time. I
vaguely remember what I did to fix it. I am at the office now - when I get
home I will review my notes and get back to you. It does have to do with a
setting in the firewall (Norton Internet Security).

doco

.. .

Old April 26th 06, 12:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
LWG

what a boob! i had another firewall program that was running along
side of the XP. removed it and got immediately prompted for password,
bam. i apologize for the stupid mistake, and thx for your help...