No "Outlook Address Book" tab?

Old February 14th 06, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook
CS

Default No "Outlook Address Book" tab?

Hello,
I have a question with Contacts folders in Outlook. We are using
Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003. We would like some users to be able
to add other users' Contacts folders into their Outlook Address Book.
Normally this is done by right-clicking on the Contacts folder, going
to the Outlook Address Book tab, and checking the box for "Show this
folder as an e-mail address book". However, when users open another
user's Contacts folder and right-click and go to Properties, the
"Outlook Address Book" tab doesn't show up. Other tabs that are also
missing a Administration, Synchronization, and Activities.

Is there a way to get the "Outlook Address Book" tab to show up so that
they can add other users' Contacts folders to show up in their Outlook
Address Books?

I have looked around and have not seen a posted solution to this
problem yet.

Thanks much,
--
Chris

Old February 14th 06, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

The process of adding another user's Contacts folder to your own address book display is more involved than a simple check box. You will need to be able to create -- at least temporarily -- an Outlook profile that opens another user's mailbox as the primary mailbox. Proceed with these steps while logged in under your own Windows account, not the other user's:

1. Create an Outlook profile that connects directly to the other user's mailbox, not your own, and start Outlook with that profile.

2. On the Properties dialog for the other user's Contacts folder, make sure that it's set to display in the Outlook Address Book and give it a display name other than contacts, such as Joe's Contacts.

3. Close Outlook.

4. In Control Panel | Mail, edit the *same profile* (i.e. the one from Step 1) to change the mailbox from the other user's to your own.

5. Still working with the same profile, on the Advanced tab of the Exchange Server service, add the other user's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.

6. Restart Outlook, and you should see the Joe's Contacts in your Outlook Address Book as well as your own Contacts folder.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old February 14th 06, 10:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook
CS

Thank you, that worked!

--
Chris

Old February 16th 06, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook
Jim Walsh

Sue,

I didn't find your posting until after I posted, essentially the same
question as this user.

I'm having some trouble completing the steps your outline.

1. I did that OK.

2. I did that OK.

3. OK

4. When I select the same profile as step 1 to edit, I go to properties, and
select E-mail accounts, and then View or change existing e-mail accounts.
The next window has a dropdown box for "Deliver new e-mail to the following
location:" I assume that is where I should select my mailbox instead of the
one belonging to the other user. But the only mailbox that is listed there
is the one belonging to the other user.

That's as far as I can get.

An added question: we want to be able to share this contacts folder as an
address book among the other members of our AC Organization Unit. Will these
instructions work for that too?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Old February 16th 06, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts,microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

In step 4, don't touch that delivery setting. Instead, you need to bring up the detailed properties of the Exchange service and change the mailbox name from that of your colleague to your own, and on the Advanced tab, add the colleague's mailbox as a secondary mailbox.

The permissions that the mailbox owner sets on the folder govern who can see it. Each person who wants to see it in their address book will need to follow the same steps.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP