Outlook 2007 with Virgin Gmail

Old June 2nd 10, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Oz

Default Outlook 2007 with Virgin Gmail

Hi
Does anyone know if Outlook 2007 will work ok with Virgin's dreadfull new
Gmail?
I have tried Live mail and Thunderbird but they are unreliable and Virgin
wont offer support.
I have Home and Student 2007 and will add Outlook 2007 if it works. (There
does not seem to me a Outlook trial on its own anymore)

Old June 2nd 10, 05:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_7_]

"Oz" wrote in message
Hi
Does anyone know if Outlook 2007 will work ok with Virgin's dreadfull new
Gmail?

"Virgin" GMail? I thought GMail was Google....

Old June 2nd 10, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Oz" wrote in message

Does anyone know if Outlook 2007 will work ok with Virgin's dreadfull new
Gmail?

There were some posts about it a few days, or maybe a week, ago. That person
was able to get it to work, with some peculiarities, like having to add the
word "recent" at the beginning of the username in order to see recent
messages. http://groups.google.com/ should be able to find the references for
you. Look for "virgin AND imap".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old June 2nd 10, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH[_2_]

Oz wrote:

Does anyone know if Outlook 2007 will work ok with Virgin's dreadfull new
Gmail?

Maybe you have to use the webmail interface to your account to configure
the server-side options to enable POP or IMAP access (you never
mentioned HOW you are accessing your Gmail account).

I have tried Live mail and Thunderbird but they are unreliable and Virgin
wont offer support.

Both those e-mail clients ARE reliable. Gmail is the problem. Google
does NOT comply with RFC standards for POP. They comply just enough for
most e-mail clients to work but how you might setup multiple clients,
like using an e-mail monitor along with an e-mail client, might not work
because Gmail doesn't obey POP commands correctly. It treats TOP as a
RETR, ignores DELE (because you set that behavior as a server-side
option), and so on. I doubt Google is fully compliant for IMAP.

If Windows Mail and Thunderbird can't work with Virgin's contracting of
Gmail services then other e-mail clients will similarly fail.

I have Home and Student 2007 and will add Outlook 2007 if it works. (There
does not seem to me a Outlook trial on its own anymore)

The "Home and Student" edition of 2007 does NOT include Outlook 2007.
You will have to get a version of Office 2007 that includes Outlook;
see:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...635841033.aspx

A trial version would be of little use since it expires and then what
would you use for an e-mail client?
Old June 2nd 10, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Rojo Habe[_5_]

On 02/06/2010 16:23, Oz wrote:
Hi
Does anyone know if Outlook 2007 will work ok with Virgin's dreadfull
new Gmail?
I have tried Live mail and Thunderbird but they are unreliable and
Virgin wont offer support.
I have Home and Student 2007 and will add Outlook 2007 if it works.
(There does not seem to me a Outlook trial on its own anymore)

If you're only accessing your email from one machine then Outlook will
work fine. Just enter your email address and password and let it find
the settings for you. It'll come back with an error saying it can't
find secure settings; just ignore this and click Next, and it'll scan
again and set everything up for you. The problems come if you want to
access your account from more than one machine but it's easily fixable,
if a little annoying at first. All you do is let Outlook set itself up
as above, then manually go back in and insert "recent:" (including the
colon but not the quotes) in front of your username. The first time you
do this on each client it'll download the last 30 days' worth, even
stuff you've already had; after that each client will receive all the
mail it hasn't had, independently of what the other clients have had.
It's not actually as complicated as it sounds.

Virgin do support Thunderbird 2 but, up-to-date as ever, they don't
appear to have noticed Thunderbird 3 is out yet. the main difference
when setting up Thunderbird is that it looks for IMAP before looking for
POP, and so sets up an IMAP account for you, complete with an unfamiliar
folder structure. If you do use multiple clients this may be worth
persevering with because all your mail is kept on the server and thus
all your clients will be in sync.In my case I eventually decided that
POP suited me better. It's certainly simpler if you only have one
computer. Thunderbird will work fine with POP and is eighty quid
cheaper than Outlook. you just have to stop it looking for IMAP. There
are two ways I can think of to do this. Interrupt the automatic setup
process and change it manually (you can change it to POP and still have
it search for the server settings), or log into your Virgin webmail and
disable IMAP on the server before you start.