Outlook 07: how to make rule to mark as read?

Old April 14th 10, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Boppy

Default Outlook 07: how to make rule to mark as read?

Hi folks,
I have several accounts under Outlook 07. One is an exchange account
and the rest are pop3.

I have various rules set up for each account for outgoing messages to
be copied to my inbox then filed in various folders according to
subject matter. As they are outgoing emails I want them to be marked
as read - but how?

Obviously I've searched the net for "custom action mark as read
outlook" but I can't seem to find anything for Outlook versions later
than 2000.

I have no C++ experience so wouldn't know how to begin writing such a
thing myself.

So ... what's a girl to do to make outgoing emails marked as read when
copied to the inbox then sent off to folders?

Thank you in advance for advice or link to something I can install.

Jo
Old April 14th 10, 01:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Boppy" wrote in message

I have various rules set up for each account for outgoing messages to
be copied to my inbox then filed in various folders according to
subject matter. As they are outgoing emails I want them to be marked
as read - but how?

Outlook doesn't have the ability to mark outgoing messages as read. My
approach is simply to right-click a folder periodically and choose Mark All as
Read, I imagine it could be done with code, but I prefer a simpler approach.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 14th 10, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

If the messages are not in the default Inbox, use the option to save sent
messages with the original then you won't need rules.

tools, options, email options, advanced - in folders other than the
inbox....
(screenshot http://slipstick.me/jing/sent.png)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old April 14th 10, 10:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Boppy

On Apr 15, 2:09*am, "Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote:
If the messages are not in the default Inbox, use the option to save sent
messages with the original then you won't need rules.

tools, options, email options, advanced - in folders other than the
inbox....
(screenshothttp://slipstick.me/jing/sent.png)

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
Outlook Tips:http://www.outlook-tips.net/
Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center:http://www.slipstick.com/

Outlook Tips by email:

Do you sync your mailbox with a smartphone or pda?http://forums.slipstick..com/showthread.php?t=39473

"Boppy" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Diane, if I use that option, will the messages always be
linked? Eg if I leave the original in my inbox then move it to another
folder later, will Outlook still know to grab both in and out messages
then?
Old April 15th 10, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"Boppy" wrote in message

Thanks Diane, if I use that option, will the messages always be
linked? Eg if I leave the original in my inbox then move it to another
folder later, will Outlook still know to grab both in and out messages
then?

No. Message aren't linked.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old April 15th 10, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Boppy

On Apr 15, 1:09*pm, "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:
"Boppy" wrote in message

Thanks Diane, if I use that option, will the messages always be
linked? Eg if I leave the original in my inbox then move it to another
folder later, will Outlook still know to grab both in and out messages
then?

No. *Message aren't linked.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Thanks, so as expected, I need an action that marks outgoing messages
as read. Any suggestions?
Old April 15th 10, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Try markread from he http://www.slipstick.com/addins/gallery/ I don't
recall if it works with Outlook 2007.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Old April 16th 10, 05:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Boppy

Markread was built in 1997 and the readme says it does not work with
Outlook 03 so I sincerely doubt 07 will be any better.
I never install potentially dodgy software on a Friday afternoon so
will definitely not be trying that.

so ... still hoping someone can help.
Old April 19th 10, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

"Boppy" wrote in message

Markread was built in 1997 and the readme says it does not work with
Outlook 03 so I sincerely doubt 07 will be any better.
I never install potentially dodgy software on a Friday afternoon so
will definitely not be trying that.

so ... still hoping someone can help.

Unless you write your own code, then, it doesn't look like it will be
possible.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

create a rule to mark messages as read So Call Me Crazy Outlook - Calandaring 1 February 11th 10 06:54 PM
Mark Sent as Read Dave Outlook and VBA 3 September 16th 08 03:02 PM
Mark folders read with a rule - Marti Marti Outlook - General Queries 4 November 20th 06 01:59 PM