Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool

Old March 20th 10, 11:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gandalf252002

Default Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool

Good Morning,

Is it just me or does this tool not work with 2007, is it is not
listed on the file menu as the online article suggests.

Tom

Old March 20th 10, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gérard Oomens

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886589
Old March 24th 10, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gandalf252002

Seems to be working fine now. The first time I closed Outlook it
asked about backing up. Next time I went in the Backup option was on
the file menu when it was not there before.

Tom

Old March 24th 10, 07:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
g1mail

wrote:

Good Morning,

Is it just me or does this tool not work with 2007, is it is not
listed on the file menu as the online article suggests.

Tom

See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886589- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Hello

I recommend you to use a real "backup" tools like BackupMyFolder! that
will be able to backup PST files while Outlook is running, and as the
backup is an incremental backup, the backup time is very short.

Regards
Gilles
Old March 24th 10, 01:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"g1mail" wrote in message

I recommend you to use a real "backup" tools like BackupMyFolder! that
will be able to backup PST files while Outlook is running, and as the
backup is an incremental backup, the backup time is very short.

It's just not possible to get a reliable backup of a PST while Outlook is
running. Outlook holds some data in memory until it closes. That data will
be missing and the PST you do manage to back up may be internally
inconsistant.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old March 25th 10, 12:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
g1mail

On 24 mar, 14:51, "Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]"
wrote:
"g1mail" wrote in message

I recommend you to use a real "backup" tools like BackupMyFolder! that
will be able to backup PST files while Outlook is running, and as the
backup is an incremental backup, the backup time is very short.

It's just not possible to get a reliable backup of a PST while Outlook is
running. *Outlook holds some data in memory until it closes. *That data will
be missing and the PST you do manage to back up may be internally
inconsistant.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Hello Brian

Outlook is based on MAPI, and I don't know any data that are flushed
until it closes !
Can you give me some example ?

Regards
Gilles
Old May 6th 10, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
tipep

The Backup command does not seem to appear in the file menu after I
downloaded and installed the Personal Folders Backup Tool on Outlook 2007 in
a Win 7 environment. It worked fine on Outlook 2002 in Win XP environment.
Can anyone help please? Thanks.

.

Old May 6th 10, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

"tipep" wrote in message

The Backup command does not seem to appear in the file menu after I
downloaded and installed the Personal Folders Backup Tool on Outlook 2007 in
a Win 7 environment. It worked fine on Outlook 2002 in Win XP environment.
Can anyone help please? Thanks.

In Outlook's Trust Center, examine the COM Add-Ins to see if the Outlook
Backup Add-In appears. If not, with Outlook closed, try registering the
add-in. At a command prompt, enter

regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Addins\outbak.dll"

"Program Files" may instead be "Program Files(x86)", if you're using 64 bit
Windows 7.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]