Outlook 2007 Does not Compact

Old March 7th 10, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon Potter

Default Outlook 2007 Does not Compact

Outlook.PST was growing 1.069 GB - Tried manual compaction -
(Highlight Personal Folders, Right Click; Properties; Advanced;
Compact Now). Lots of disk activity, but no change in the size of
Outlook.pst as reported by Windows Explorer.

Next I deleted over 100 Meg of files, emptied trash and manually
compacted again. Stll Windows Explorer says Outlook.pst is 1.069 GB

Then I learn auto archiving had been turned off. Turn it on. The
size of Archive1.pst increases by ~400 Megs. Run manual compact. The
size of Personal Folders Outlook reports is decreased by the 400Meg,
but Windows does not see any change in Outlook.pst size.

On the theory the size on the HDD might be full of holes, I even
copied Outlook.pst to a thumb drive -- still 1.069 GB

OS is Vista Business w/ SP2.

Any ideas?
-
Email will be:
2Cybers at gmail-dot-com

Gordon Potter
Atlanta, GA
USA

Old March 7th 10, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL[_2_]

You would need to delete/archive a considerable quantity to notice any
appreciable size reduction, 100mb wont do it

Old March 7th 10, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon Potter

Well we started out with 1.069GB, we have removed over 600MB - that
is over 50% of the file contents at the start of the operation.

I have another PC wherein I deleted a mere 25 MB and had the
Outlook.pst file decrease in size by over 24 MB when I compacted.

-
Email will be:
2Cybers at gmail-dot-com

Gordon Potter
Atlanta, GA
USA

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:19:52 -0000, "DL"
wrote:

You would need to delete/archive a considerable quantity to notice any
appreciable size reduction, 100mb wont do it

.. .

Old March 8th 10, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine

Read my reply. Stop panicking. Get a life.
It will take a while for Windows Exploder to report the file size correctly.
What's the rush?
--

wrote:

You would need to delete/archive a considerable quantity to notice any
appreciable size reduction, 100mb wont do it

. ..

Old March 8th 10, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Gordon Potter wrote in message

Outlook.PST was growing 1.069 GB - Tried manual compaction -
(Highlight Personal Folders, Right Click; Properties; Advanced;
Compact Now). Lots of disk activity, but no change in the size of
Outlook.pst as reported by Windows Explorer.

....snipped the rest...

Why are you concerned? Outlook 2007 can handle PSTs that are 20GB and larger,
as can most disk drives less that five years old.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old March 8th 10, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon Potter

Turned out I had a corrupted outlook.pst. When I ran Scanpst.exe it
found errors. Then when I ran Compact Now, the size dropped
immediately -- from 1.069 GB to 0.196 GB.