Outlook Banter

-   Outlook - Fax Functions (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-fax-functions/)
-   -   outlook client cannot open Tif files (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-fax-functions/20987-outlook-client-cannot-open-tif.html)

Bill July 17th 06 08:12 PM

outlook client cannot open Tif files

I just migrated a small network from 2000 server std. to sbs2003. many of the
workstations were still running office xp. due to issues in the past we
elected to un-install outlook xp before loading outlook 2003. on one of the
workstations I am having the following problem: if the user clicks on the
fax.tif file in the preview pane, the document imaging software starts, then
displays that the file in c:\documents and settings\%username%\local
settings\temporary internet files\OLK89\fax.tif cannot be opened, check the
permissions.... , they also get a message that appears in the background that
says that the system cannot find the file specified. I have attempted to "
repair" outlook using the utility under help. also attempted to run setup
from the client apps folder. checked for office updates, installed several.
I turned on logging, I can post the data if needed. I did try to clear the
temp files and now under the temp internet folder there are no files, yet the
same error with the same path persists.

Bill July 17th 06 08:44 PM

outlook client cannot open Tif files

After an extensive internet search, I found the source of this problem. it
had to do with the file association with tiff files. they were using
something called DDE, cleared this and all is well now.

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] July 17th 06 09:53 PM

outlook client cannot open Tif files

Right. It has nothing to do with Outlook. Any file must have the correct app
associated with it if you want to open it. Outlook does not open
attachments.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]