Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/99071-problem-oe-6-cant-import.html)

Ron Hirsch[_4_] January 15th 10 07:39 PM

A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

My system C drive on my main machine failed the other day with a refusal to
even have any OS recognized. So I replaced it, and restored an image from
True Image from the recent past.

Apparently there was some small corruptions in that image. And I have a
strange situation in Outlook Express 6.

All works well, except for when I click on FILEIMPORTMESSAGES to import
some dbx files from the past, or another machine running OE6. I have these
DBX files stored in a folder on my main machine, and the import has always
worked very nicely.

But now, when the import screen comes up, it is totally blank - nothing in
it.

I know a work around to do the import. But I'd prefer it it worked normally.
I can create a new folder in LOCAL FOLDERS, and name it to what I'd like.
Then I can go into my DBX archive folder, pick a DBX file, and rename it to
what I just created in my OE. Then replace the new blank folder with the
folder from the archive, by just overwriting it. That does work - I tried
it, and it still does work OK.

I clicked on FILEIMPORTADDRESS BOOK, and a "good:|" window did show there.

Does anyone know how to "repair" OE6? I am running IE8, so some of the
suggestions I've seen won't work, as they imply that OE is part of IE, and I
don't want to mess with OE8.

Ron Hirsch

Bruce Hagen January 15th 10 07:49 PM

A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

OE is part of IE6, not IE8. Create a new identity and see if you can
import the messages there, If you can, import all your messages and dump
the current identity.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Ron Hirsch[_4_] January 15th 10 11:39 PM

A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a whirl.

Ron
+++++++++++++++++++

Ron Sommer January 15th 10 11:53 PM

A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

Is folders.dbx included in the folder on the main machine?
--
Ron Sommer
MS MVP-Mail

Ron Hirsch[_4_] January 16th 10 10:36 AM

A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

Hi Ron,

Yes, that folder is in my storage folder for all my dbx files.

I set a custom store folder, off the C drive on the D drive. This keeps my
messages from being impacted anytime I have occasion to restore an earlier
image to my C drive, when any "problems" occur.

Also, that DBX folder on D is also included in my backup scripts, which also
archive all the dbx and loads of other stuff in several other places.

Ron Hirsch

Steve Cochran January 16th 10 11:47 AM

A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

Make sure the files are not read only. OE won't import from read only
files.

You can manually import also. See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

steve