A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

Old January 17th 10, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Default A problem in OE 6 - can't import messages anymore

The files are hidden so you have to enable showing hidden files and folders.
Its possible you may also need to show protected and OS files to see them.
Check Control Panel | Folder Options | View. Also if searching you need to
include hidden files and folders in the advanced search properties.

steve

"Ron Hirsch" wrote in message
Hi Steve,

No, they're not read-only.

My problem was not the inability to import a selected file(s), but the
inability to get anything at all to display in the browser window to point
to the path/folders involved.

Ron

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
Make sure the files are not read only. OE won't import from read only
files.

You can manually import also. See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#imp1

steve

Old January 17th 10, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Steve,
Hidden, system files is a problem when you are looking in Windows Explorer
for the OE message store. I did not know that it could be a problem when
using OE import.
The files will not display if folders.dbx is missing. Is it possible the
folders.dbx is corrupted?
--
Ron Sommer

Old January 17th 10, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Hirsch[_4_]

I have no problem accessing the folder, viewing my DBX files and copying
them to an archive folder.

I also have no problem importing the dbx files from my archive folder to
other computers.

And I doubt that the folder.dbx file is corrupted, since I can readily add
new folders, and rename any folder, with no problem.

Remember what I have stated -

When I go to FILEIMPORTMESSAGES, nothing shows in that window, except a
small dashed line near the top. There is zero there. There is nothing to
navigate a path to anywhere.

So the problem is not the inability to import, but the inability to get a
lsit of what could be imported.

Thanks for all the HELP from everyone. I think I'm just going to put this
problem to bed.

Ron Hirsch

Old January 18th 10, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Yes, its quite possible folders.dbx is corrupted. Alternatively the actual
path that OE is loading for the directory of dbx files could be wrong, as it
often is when importing in Winmail (see the import steps for Winmail at
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#wm)

It could be something else as well, but since he doesn't wish to pursue it,
we can just drop it.

steve

Old January 19th 10, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Hirsch[_4_]

Steve,

I do thank you for all the info you and others have offered.

I do have a general question re the "folders.dbx" file. If that file were
indeed corrupted, would that still block the ability to browse for a path in
the Import Messages window?

I would seem to me that if it were corrupt, the system would not recognize
that until one had selected the path/folder it was in. but if one is unable
to see a folder tree and select that (or any other) folder, how would
Windows know the file was corrupted until one tried to use it?

Ron
+++++++++++++++++

news

Old January 19th 10, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Hi Ron,

Corruption of folders.dbx would not affect browsing to the folder to import
messages. The path sometimes when one browses in WinMail (see
www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx) gets messed up and so the actual path has to be
specified so that the files show up.

How about if you move all the files to another simple directory such as
C:\messages. Then File | Import | Messages and choose OE6 format and then
specify import from a directory and then browse to C:\messages. See if that
works.

steve