Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Seeing a thread from non-thread mode (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/96829-seeing-thread-non-thread-mode.html)

BillW50 November 9th 09 12:24 AM

Seeing a thread from non-thread mode

A lot of newsgroups, I read sorted by date mainly. And once in awhile I
see post which I would like to comment on. Although I would like to read
the whole thread first to make sure somebody didn't already say what I
wanted to add. There are a few ways like sort by subject or Find
subject, but is there a better way to see the whole thread?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

VanguardLH[_2_] November 9th 09 02:10 AM

BillW50 wrote:

I would like to read the whole thread first to make sure somebody
didn't already say what I wanted to add.

Group Messages by Conversation view

BillW50 November 9th 09 02:31 AM

Seeing a thread from non-thread mode

In ,
VanguardLH typed on Sun, 8 Nov 2009 20:10:53 -0600:
BillW50 wrote:

I would like to read the whole thread first to make sure somebody
didn't already say what I wanted to add.

Group Messages by Conversation view

I seem to recall that used to work. But nowadays (with a half of dozen
of computers) this doesn't do it anymore. As toggling with ALT-V-V-G the
post disappears and something else is selected. And finding the thread
is different.

N. Miller November 9th 09 03:59 AM

BillW50 wrote:

I would like to read the whole thread first to make sure somebody
didn't already say what I wanted to add.

Group Messages by Conversation view

I seem to recall that used to work. But nowadays (with a half of dozen of
computers) this doesn't do it anymore. As toggling with ALT-V-V-G the post
disappears and something else is selected. And finding the thread is
different.

Use a newsreader which threads articles by the references headers, not by
the "Subject:" line.

--
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

FromTheRafters[_2_] November 9th 09 10:34 AM

"BillW50" wrote in message
A lot of newsgroups, I read sorted by date mainly. And once in awhile I
see post which I would like to comment on. Although I would like to
read the whole thread first to make sure somebody didn't already say
what I wanted to add. There are a few ways like sort by subject or Find
subject, but is there a better way to see the whole thread?

View by conversation - you may need to get previous messages to
backtrack (if they still exist on the server). Better yet, use "Google
Groups" to find the thread and use the tree view panel thingy to read
them - then post using the newsreader (OE).

Robert Aldwinckle November 9th 09 03:27 PM

BillW50 wrote:

I would like to read the whole thread first to make sure somebody
didn't already say what I wanted to add.

Group Messages by Conversation view

I seem to recall that used to work. But nowadays (with a half of dozen
of computers) this doesn't do it anymore. As toggling with ALT-V-V-G the
post disappears and something else is selected. And finding the thread
is different.

You should also _check_
Automatically expand grouped messages
(in Options, Read tab) -- Alt-T,O,Ctrl-Tab,x

---