Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Is it OK to encrypt my local email using the encryption file system? (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/95034-ok-encrypt-my-local-email.html)

Mark F[_2_] September 17th 09 05:32 PM

Is it OK to encrypt my local email using the encryption file system?

Are there any problems with encrypting all of my Outlook Express
files?

If I do encrypt the files, will it in fact make the contents
the various files and pieces of files that Outlook Express leaves
around unintelligible, even to anyone, including myself, who has
access to my account?

Currently after I Compact my folders I can access what was the old
contents by looking at the Recycle Bin or use a lost file recovery
program to access various other things that are left around.

For example, P i r i f o r m R e c u v a v1.30.435 files the
deleted "file" "C:\Outlook Express emails.zip" of "Unknown" length.
When I then right click to recover the file, I get zip file that I
can look inside of to reveal various ".dbx" folders, each containing
".eml" files that Outlook Express can read.

Here are my system particulars:
I am using Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 with all Microsoft
Updates stuff up to 2009 September 12 except for I.E. V8 (using V7)
All my disk partitions are NTFS.

I have my Outlook Express "Store Location" set to the default
folder, which on my system is something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\markf\Local Settings\
Application Data\Identities\
{30E72C38-C783-4D9A-8795-774E7C4D826E}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

I want to open use Explore to set the Store Location folder for
encryption by going to:
C:\Documents and Settings\markf\Local Settings\
Application Data\Identities\
{30E72C38-C783-4D9A-8795-774E7C4D826E}\Microsoft
then right-clicking on "Outlook Express", going to the
"General" tab, clicking on "Advanced...", putting a check mark
in "Encrypt contents to secure data" and then clicking on the "OK"
button.

Twayne[_2_] September 17th 09 06:16 PM

"Mark F" wrote in message

Are there any problems with encrypting all of my Outlook Express
files?

If I do encrypt the files, will it in fact make the contents
the various files and pieces of files that Outlook Express leaves
around unintelligible, even to anyone, including myself, who has
access to my account?

Not to yourself of course; you are supposed to be able to read them.
Jeez!

[...]

Unless you also export your cert keys you will lose ALL of the encrypted
files the instant something glitches the OS. Don't even think about it
until you've read up on how to export the keys.