How to force auto compaction?

Old September 20th 09, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Default How to force auto compaction?

If you let it compact, the reg counter is reset to zero. Each time you close
OE it increases by one.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"John Barton" wrote in message
Bruce..I followed your instructions to be able to see the compacting
prompt and was able to set the compact check count at 100 and did see the
prompt one time but not again. When I checked the compact check count
setting it had rest itself to 2 not 100. I tried setting the count to 100
several times but each time it reset itself at a lower number?
"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
Close OE. Go to: StartRunRegeditOK and find this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for Identity
\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0. In the right hand pane and find
*Compact Check Count* and set the value to 100 or higher.

Close the registry.

Open OE and close it an you should see the prompt.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Inquisitor" wrote in message
After I exit OE for the Nth time, I get a message that OE is compacting
messages and we should not shutdown until the process is completed.

I want to demonstrate this for my mother so that she is aware of what
she should (not) do when it happens. She has to see things. An oral
explanation is not sufficient.

How can I force this automatic compaction to happen predictably, namely
the next time that I exit OE, when I want to demonstrate it?

I've read that setting Compact Check Count to zero in the Registry will
cause the auto compaction to occur after the 100th time OE is exited.

Is Compact Check Count a down-counter? So if I set it to one, will that
cause the auto compaction to occur the next time that OE is exited?

Note: I am aware that I can force compaction on demand through the
Tools Options Maintenance Clean Up Now tab. That is not what I
want to do. I want to demonstrate the auto compaction -- the pop-up
message that occurs when I exit OE.

Old September 30th 09, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Call 911 for an ambulance.

Old September 30th 09, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Call 911 for an ambulance.

Old September 30th 09, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dori A Schmetterling

You mightsuggest pulling it out or sticking it up somebody's rear if you
knew what it was....

Just curious: Do you know what "3" is, besides the digit, the number after 2
etc, of course.

DAS

---
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message