Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   moving Identity to a newer computer (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/94856-moving-identity-newer-computer.html)

jbclem3 September 13th 09 10:43 AM

moving Identity to a newer computer

I am moving everything to a newer computer, and I'm not sure how to go about
it with Outlook Express and all my email and email folders. I tried copying
the old Identity to the new computer, putting it in Docs & Settings right
next to the new Identity. But so far it isn't showing up in Outlook Express
when I try to Manage and Switch Identities. Is there a correct way to do
this?

I have the two computers hooked up via a LAN so it is easy to copy files
back and forth.

jc

Ron Sommer September 13th 09 12:12 PM

moving Identity to a newer computer

File, Import, Messages, OE6, select other store folder, browse to the
location of the old Identity files.
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

Bruce Hagen September 13th 09 03:04 PM

moving Identity to a newer computer

For OE to OE:

Backup & Resto
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

How do I import OE5 and OE6 mail folders?
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5

How to back up and to restore Outlook Express data:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Backing up and Cloning your OE Identities:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone.htm

But.......

Is the new computer running Vista with Windows Mail?

Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express.

Migrate from Outlook Express to Windows Mail:
http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migra...o-Windows-Mail

Importing from Outlook Express [Under the Windows Mail section]:
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Visit the Windows Mail Newsgroup for more specific advice.

In your newsreader:

On the Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s.vista.mai l
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Ron Sommer September 14th 09 03:32 AM

moving Identity to a newer computer

You select which folders to import.
Folders of the same name, Inbox, Sent items, Drafts, Deleted items, and user
created folders will put the messages in folders of the same name. Imported
folders that have unique names will be added as unique named folders.
For folders to import, folders.dbx must be included.
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail