Drag and drop link stopped working

Old September 15th 09, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Default Drag and drop link stopped working

I just checked with WinMail in the Internet zone and IE7 and it works fine.

steve

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message
Assuming that OE is running in the Restricted Zone (which is the default)
go into IE Internet Options, Security, select the Restricted Zone and make
sure that drag-and-drop is set to ENABLE. It won't work if set to Prompt.

I just tested OE6 with IE7 and it works with that setting.

Windows Mail is a Vista only application.

There is Windows Live Mail (WLM) which can be downloaded and runs on XP,
Vista and Windows 7.

By the way, the same settings (Read in Plain Text and drag-and-drop IE
Restricted Zone security setting) have the same effect in WLM as to
whether or not you can drag links to IE.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Paul" wrote in message
I have not selected the Read All Message In Plain Text option. I am
trying to
drag web links from HTML emails in OE6 to the IE7 window but dragging
stopped
working. It worked all the time until just a couple of days ago.

Maybe the quickest way to fix the problem will be to reinstall OE6
because
that hopefully will remove all the existing settings in the Windows
registry
related to how OE6 works on my computer. How do I reinstall OE6?

Another question - is Windows Mail better than OE6? If so, can I install
WM
considering that I have Windows XP SP3? Where can I download WM from?

Thanks.

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

In Outlook Express in Windows XP SP2+ or Windows 2003 SP1, the following
features do not work when Tools, Options, Read, Read All Message In
Plain Text is selected (For a quick workaround for the current message,
press ALT+Shift+H)
- Displaying attached images at the bottom of the message window
- Visited Links changing colors (Tools, Options, Security, Block Images
.... will also prevent visited links from changing colors)
- Right click a Link and select Add to Favorites, Copy Shortcut or Save
Target As
- Dragging a Link from the message to IE or another program
=============
- Unscramble (ROT13)
- View, Text Size (however, holding down Ctrl while using mouse scroll
wheel still works)
- Print Selection to print only the highlighted part of a message
- Edit, Find, Text in this Message (the message must also be open in
its own window to use this option)
- Using Space bar to advance to the next message when the focus is in
the Preview Pane

For security reasons, the Read All Messages in Plain Text uses the
RICHED DLL rather than MSHTML DLL. RICHED has much less functionality
than MSHTML and so is less likely to have security holes.

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Paul" wrote in message
I used to drag and drop links from OE6 messages to IE7 window to open
the
webapges. It suddenly stopped working. I checked in the IE7's Internet
Options Security Internet Zone Custom Level Security Settings
Drag
and drop or copy and paste files is enabled. It is also enabled in the
Local
Intranet zone. How do I get it back? Thanks!
Windows XP SP3

Old September 15th 09, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

It might be an automation issue. Do you have any other drag and drop
problems? Try going to Start | Run and type:

regsvr32 ole.dll

regsvr32 ole32.dll

and see if that makes any difference. If not then try
www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx

steve

Old September 16th 09, 05:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
paul

I do not have any other drag and drop problem. For example, I can drag and
drop files in Windows Explorer, and drag and drop text in Word.

When I ran "regsvr32 ole.dll", I received the error message:
LoadLibrary("ole.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.
Should I worry about it?

When I ran "regsvr32 ole32.dll", it succeeded.

The tip on www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx did not make any difference.

Michael Santovec's tip to enable drag and drop in the Restricted Sites zone
has brought back the drag and drop of links in OE. Hurrah! However, tinkering
with the default settings in the restricted sites zone does make me a little
nervous. However, I tend to think that the drag and drop was working earlier
with the default setting in restricted zone. This is why. I reinstalled
Windows XP SP3 just about 10 days ago, and the drag and drop of links in OE
was working. I went about installing other programs on my computer and
installing Windows and Office 2007 updates as I had to after a reinstall of
the OS. Then I suddenly found that OE's drag and drop had stopped working.
Something probably crippled it - I don't know what. I tried System Restore,
but a bunch of differfent restore points failed giving the message that
restore could not be completed. The reason could be that I had turned off an
external drive in the middle of a long period of writing going on to the
drive, and I am guessing that a restore point was being created on the
external drive. But, I never thought that Windows put the restore points on
external drives. May be it was doing that because my internal drive C has
only about 5 GB free.

I greatly appreciate all of you guys jumping in to help me, and I do not
want to bother you all any more with this. But, if it is not a good thing to
make that change in the restricted zone, I would prefer to reainstall OE
assuming that the drag and drop of links would work in a fresh install. How
to reinstall OE6 considering that I want to have IE7? OE6 does not appear to
be available as a separate install file.

I also notice another cut and paste matter. The keyboard shortcuts of Ctrl+X
and Ctrl+C are not working in this reply text box, though the Cut, and Copy
options are available in a right-click menu. Is that normal, or did that get
messed up now for me?

Thanks for the help!

Old September 16th 09, 09:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

I reinstalled Windows XP SP3 just about 10 days ago, and the drag and drop
of links in OE was working. I went about installing other programs on my
computer and installing Windows and Office 2007 updates as I had to after
reinstall of the OS. Then I suddenly found that OE's drag and drop had
stopped working. Something probably crippled it - I don't know what. I
tried System Restore, but a bunch of differfent restore points failed
giving the message that restore could not be completed.

Uh-oh...

Did you do a Repair Install or a format & clean install? Had IE7 or IE8
been installed when you "reinstalled" WinXP?

Did any of the Restore Points predate the install of SP3, the post-SP3
updates, and/or the Office updates?

Did you uninstall SP3, the post-SP3 updates, and/or the Office updates (in
reverse order) prior to using System Restore?

in the background when you installed SP3 and/or IE7 or IE8 after you'd
"reinstalled" Windows?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

If the drag & drop behavior worked before all this updating, I think there's
a very good chance that OE was running in the Internet zone, Paul. The big
question is: Did /you/ make the change (from Restricted Sites zone to
Internet zone) or did hijackware do it?

Old September 16th 09, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

There are so many variables involved that its unclear what generated the
problem. OE is part of the OS and can't be reinstalled. You can try System
File Checker, but I don't know if that will do any good or not.

steve

news

Old September 18th 09, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
paul

I reinstalled Windows XP SP3 just about 10 days ago, and the drag and drop
of links in OE was working. I went about installing other programs on my
computer and installing Windows and Office 2007 updates as I had to after
reinstall of the OS. Then I suddenly found that OE's drag and drop had
stopped working. Something probably crippled it - I don't know what. I
tried System Restore, but a bunch of differfent restore points failed
giving the message that restore could not be completed.

Uh-oh...

Did you do a Repair Install or a format & clean install? Had IE7 or IE8
been installed when you "reinstalled" WinXP?

Clean install from WinXP SP3 disk. It installed IE6, which I upgraded to IE7.

Did any of the Restore Points predate the install of SP3, the post-SP3
updates, and/or the Office updates?

The earliest Restore point dates to after Office updates.

Did you uninstall SP3, the post-SP3 updates, and/or the Office updates (in
reverse order) prior to using System Restore?

No.

in the background when you installed SP3 and/or IE7 or IE8 after you'd
"reinstalled" Windows?

AVG Free, ZoneAlarm. AVG was running when installing IE7. Don't remember
about ZA.

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

Norton Ghost 9 was installed after all Windows updates were installed.

If the drag & drop behavior worked before all this updating, I think there's
a very good chance that OE was running in the Internet zone, Paul. The big
question is: Did /you/ make the change (from Restricted Sites zone to
Internet zone) or did hijackware do it?

Will Windows repair install help? No harm done if I try it, right?