Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Inbox won't post messages (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/94759-inbox-wont-post-messages.html)

Dennis September 10th 09 09:10 PM

Inbox won't post messages

I have windows xp with service pack 2. I hope someone can help fix my
problem. When I check for email at my ISP and see there is mail to download
to my computer and then go to Outlook Express, Outlook Express shows it is
checking for new messages but then says there are no new messages. If I then
deleted. Outlook Express is deleting my mail off my service provider but
showing I have no new messages in my inbox. I tried deleting "Inbox.dbx" and
restarting Outlook Express but that did not solve the problem. I will really
appreciate any suggestions you can give. Thanks,
--
dennis

Bruce Hagen September 10th 09 09:18 PM

Inbox won't post messages

View | Current View. Is Show All Messages checked and nothing else? Was OE
closed when you deleted the Inbox? It must be.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Ron Sommer September 11th 09 03:22 AM

Inbox won't post messages

Do you have any messages rules?
Are you virus scanning email?
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

Dennis September 11th 09 05:38 AM

Inbox won't post messages

Bruce, Thankyou for responding to my request. I think I finally have solved
the problem. To answer your question; show all messages was checked and
nothing else was checked and OE was closed when I deleted inbox.dbx. Ron
Summer asked in his reply if I have any message rules. I rechecked that and
saw that I had 2 message rules. One called the New Message rule was set per
intructions from my ISP the other one is called the MFN rule. I reread the
instructions from my ISP and it said that the MFN rule should not be set for
OE so I deleted that. I don't know how the MFN rule got set. OE was working
ok for sometime but then it started deleting my emails from my ISP and
showing there were no new messages to display in OE. I don't recall entering
the MFN rule myself. Since I deleted the MFN rule tonight OE seems to be
working ok again and I'm very happy about that. Thank you.
--
dennis

PA Bear [MS MVP] September 11th 09 05:47 AM

Inbox won't post messages

WTF is an MFN rule? Most Favored Nation? Manchester Fashion Network?
Mother-F***ing Nuts?

Dennis September 11th 09 05:48 AM

Inbox won't post messages

Ron, Thank you very much for your reply. Your questions led me to the
solution for the problem. Please also read my reply to Bruce Hagen. When I
checked the message rules I saw that there were 2 message rules entered. The
1st was called the MFN rule and the 2nd is called the New Message Rule. I
remembered that my ISP provided instructions to enter the New Message Rule
but I didn't recall the MFN rule. I found the instruction sheet the ISP gave
me when I first set up my email and it stated the MFN rule should not be
entered with OE so I deleted it and then went back into OE. OE then
downloaded my new messages to the inbox like it is supposed to do so I think
the problem is solved. I don't know how the MFN rule got entered there. I
don't recall doing it myself and OE used to work ok but it stopped showing my
emails in the inbox some time ago and I just decided to try to get the
problem corrected. Thanks again for your help.
--
dennis