MSOE.DLL help needed

Old September 7th 09, 09:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jan Smit

Default MSOE.DLL help needed

Jan Smit wrote:
Please help. OE6 doesn't start because "msoe.dll" isn't found.
It is there and all dbx are archive-not-read-only and I tried everything
visable on usenet, including installation of Internet Explorer 7. Hoped
that
the last action would install e new OE-6 or OE-7.

Any solution?
I work on a PC XP-SP3
Please...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" schreef in bericht
Start he http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt
to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic
Compacting is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

So sorry, these are not helpfull, besides the given link by ©2000-2005 Tom
Koch , wich I tried some days ago, refer to Bruces message.

Old September 7th 09, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

"Jan Smit" wrote in message
abel.net...
"Jan Smit" wrote in message
abel.net...
Please help. OE6 doesn't start because "msoe.dll" isn't found.
It is there and all dbx are archive-not-read-only and I tried everything
visable on usenet, including installation of Internet Explorer 7. Hoped
that the last action would install e new OE-6 or OE-7.

Any solution?
I work on a PC XP-SP3
Please...

"Bruce Hagen" schreef in bericht
OE6 is the last version of OE and is part of IE6 so IE7 would make no
difference.

Start here.

When OE crashes or won't start:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

Thank you for trying. This article is from a stone-age, I presume. Even
Windows 98 and 98 SE are named.
To follow that article, which I did:
1) my disc is not full
2) Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be
initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly
This is very true, but there is no given we to reinstall OE
3) When OE crashes or won't start: Close OE. Wisdom, this is
4) Clear the checkbox for the Read-only attribute. There is/was no
Read-only attribute set.
5) If Outlook Express will not start, move the *.dbx files from your
store folder and into a new empty folder
I did. For back-up purposes. Tried also to clear the lot as OE
should repair itself, but still the same error: msoe.dll not found
6) If you still cannot start OE, your Identity in the registry is
probably damaged.
Download the Force Identity Logon script.- Run the script to access
the Identities Manager.- Create a new Identity, then switch to it when
prompted.
I created a new account. Tried to start OE there, same Error. I
suppose the registry of the new account should be without demaged lines.
To get as deep as suggested into the registry is to much for me. I learned
to live with a bad short-term memory, but for this one has to understand
and remember what has been done and why... Do you think the registry
causes the problem?

Any other sugestions? Is there a way to re-install Outlook Express? Can I
download this, besides the IE7 I installed on advise of some kind person,
who tried to help also?

OE hasn't changed since that article was written. At least no concerning
this issue.

With OE closed, locate Folders.dbx in the message store and delete it.

Consequences of deleting Folders.dbx:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#deldbx

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

If still no joy:

Courtesy of MVP Frank Saunders [RIP]

Errors in DIRECTDB.DLL or MSOE.DLL generally indicate corruption in the
message store. Start by moving Folders.dbx to an empty Windows folder. You
will lose your folder hierarchy and the lists of newsgroups on the news
servers, but it might get you into OE. Note: The DBX file are hidden files
in Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3.

If that doesn't do it then move all of the DBX files to the same folder as
Folders.dbx. You should now get into OE. Try importing the messages from the
folder you moved the DBX files to. If you can't, you can use one of these
tools to extract the messages:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress: {much faster for large files}
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

Note: It can take a long time (days with really large folders).

The messages can then be dragged from the Windows folder back into a folder
in an open instance of OE.

Also See:

OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started Because MSOE.DLL
Could Not Be Loaded

Error message "Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could
not be loaded"

Error message "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could
not be loaded" when you start Outlook Express

OLEXP: Error Message: The Identity Login Could Not Be Started

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

Old September 7th 09, 02:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

"Jan Smit" wrote in message
abel.net...
abel.net...

Old September 7th 09, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan Smit wrote:
Jan Smit wrote:
[...]

Did you try all of the suggestions at
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash? (They're as valid today
as they were 4+ years ago.)

The caveats I posted were to help you avoid this problem in the future.

Old September 8th 09, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

This is an OE catchall error message that is completely false in its
information. Normally all that is required is to delete folders.dbx.

If you moved all the files out of the message store directory and OE still
won't start, then the problem is more serious. I would run System file
checker

SFC /scannow

and see if that detects any problems. If that doesn't fix the situation,
give the other things you have tried, then I would backup the Identities key
in the registry and then delete it completely. OE should create and
populate a new one when it starts (if it will start then).

steve

"Jan Smit" wrote in message
abel.net...
abel.net...

Old September 8th 09, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

This is an OE catchall error message that is completely false in its
information. Normally all that is required is to delete folders.dbx.

If you moved all the files out of the message store directory and OE still
won't start, then the problem is more serious. I would run System file
checker

SFC /scannow

and see if that detects any problems. If that doesn't fix the situation,
give the other things you have tried, then I would backup the Identities key
in the registry and then delete it completely. OE should create and
populate a new one when it starts (if it will start then).

steve

"Jan Smit" wrote in message
abel.net...
abel.net...

Old September 10th 09, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jan Smit

"Jan Smit" schreef in bericht
abel.net...
Please help. OE6 doesn't start because "msoe.dll" isn't found.
It is there and all dbx are archive-not-read-only and I tried everything
visable on usenet, including installation of Internet Explorer 7. Hoped
that the last action would install e new OE-6 or OE-7.

Any solution?
I work on a PC XP-SP3
Please...

So sorry, just back from hospital. Will respond in a week

Old September 12th 09, 01:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Just delete folders.dbx.

steve

"Jan Smit" wrote in message