Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Outlook Express 6 (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/94013-outlook-express-6-a.html)

rogeepete August 21st 09 09:46 PM

Outlook Express 6

I am running Win XP Pro and OE6

Should I upgrade to a later version (I think Microsoft calls it Windows Mail
in Vista)
I plan to stay with Win XP and not go to Vista.

Thanks

Roger

--
Roger

PA Bear [MS MVP] August 21st 09 10:36 PM

Outlook Express 6

Windows Mail replaces OE in Vista.

Windows Mail is not available to those running WinXP.

All OE development was stopped by executive fiat in June 2006. While
security-related updates for OE running in WinXP SP3 (only) will continue
until April 2014, there will be not new versions of or features added to OE.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Bruce Hagen August 22nd 09 01:21 AM

Outlook Express 6

You may be confusing Windows Mail, (Vista only), with Windows Live Mail,
(XP, Vista and Windows 7).

Should you switch? That's up to you. OE will be covered by security updates
only in XP/SP3 until April, 2014. I'm sticking with it on my XP machine.

If you want to get your feet wet with WLMail, you can run it side-by-side
with OE on your XP machine. All received messages can be downloaded to both
e-mail clients.

Windows Live Mail (Overview & Features):
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

In OE and WLMail:

Tools | Accounts | Mail | Properties | Advanced - Check: Leave a copy of
messages on the server.

In either OE or WLMail, check to Delete messages after X days to satisfy
your allotted space you get from your server. Make it long enough so you can
download to each program.

Note: Sent messages will only be in the Sent Items folder for the e-mail
client you used to send.

Also note that WLMail will become your default e-mail client when you set it
up. If you want OE to be the default:

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Custom + Down Arrow | Select the radio button for Outlook Express.

Make OE the default e-mail client:
http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx

For future WLMail questions:

Windows Live Mail [Desktop] Newsgroup.

In your newsreader:

On the Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...mail .desktop
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

VanguardLH[_2_] August 22nd 09 05:01 AM

Outlook Express 6

rogeepete wrote:

Win XP Pro and OE6

Should I upgrade to a later version (I think Microsoft calls it
Windows Mail in Vista) I plan to stay with Win XP and not go to
Vista.

Windows Live Mail replaces Outlook Express (dead since 2006) and even
Windows Vista's Windows Mail.

To get WLM, go to:
http://download.live.com/
Make sure to only pick the component(s) you want. After the install,
decide if you want to keep the fluff that their installs always jam on
your host (signin assistant and other foistware).

To ask how to use WLM or problems with it, see its newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

What is currently not working in Outlook Express that makes you want to
move away from it? Is it that you moved to IE8 and now have problems
with OE6? Since OE6's development got arrested back in 2006 (probably
back to 2002 except with some registry hacks supported in WinXP SP-2 in
2004 for a couple new options along with security updates up to 2006),
any reliance it has on IE's libraries will become increasingly more
tenuous with later versions of IE.

Whether you should migrate (not upgrade) to a new e-mail client depends
wholly on why you feel the need to migrate. Is the wheel squeaking?

Twayne[_2_] August 22nd 09 06:23 PM

Outlook Express 6

"rogeepete" wrote in message

I am running Win XP Pro and OE6

Should I upgrade to a later version (I think Microsoft calls it
Windows Mail in Vista)
I plan to stay with Win XP and not go to Vista.

Thanks

Roger

No, it's not really necessary at all. OE6 will be around for a long
time to come and IIRC will even be included in updates until around
2014. Albeit a few design flaws detractors like to point out, OE will
serve you well for the lifetime of your current computer at least, and
likely beyond. Even when support does stop, OE6 will still be rather
robust and will continue to work just fine unless/until some major
protocol change should happen and that's not very likely at least for
the foreseeable future.

HTH,

Twayne`