Outlook Express 6

Old August 22nd 09, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Twayne[_2_]

Default Outlook Express 6

"rogeepete" wrote in message

I am running Win XP Pro and OE6

Should I upgrade to a later version (I think Microsoft calls it
Windows Mail in Vista)
I plan to stay with Win XP and not go to Vista.

Thanks

Roger

No, it's not really necessary at all. OE6 will be around for a long
time to come and IIRC will even be included in updates until around
2014. Albeit a few design flaws detractors like to point out, OE will
serve you well for the lifetime of your current computer at least, and
likely beyond. Even when support does stop, OE6 will still be rather
robust and will continue to work just fine unless/until some major
protocol change should happen and that's not very likely at least for
the foreseeable future.

HTH,

Twayne`

Old August 23rd 09, 02:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
VanguardLH[_2_]

Twayne wrote:

No, it's not really necessary at all. OE6 will be around for a long
time to come and IIRC will even be included in updates until around
2014. Albeit a few design flaws detractors like to point out, OE will
serve you well for the lifetime of your current computer at least, and
likely beyond. Even when support does stop, OE6 will still be rather
robust and will continue to work just fine unless/until some major
protocol change should happen and that's not very likely at least for
the foreseeable future.

Planned functional development for OE ended back in 2002, the SP-2 for
WinXP had a couple patches for OE to change the positioning of the
signature and quoted content, and there were security updates up until
2006 when the OE development team got disbanded. OE6 is dead. You can
file all the bug reports and requests for enhancements you want but
they'll get automatically tossed into the bit bucket.

Software always out-survives its support period. Just because support
vaporized doesn't mean the software stops working. But don't expect it
to continue working except under the environment for which it was
designed. Libraries from IE are used by OE. There have been no
functional changes to OE6 for IE7 and IE8, so OE and IE will
progressively get out of sync. The methods in the DLLs will change and
will eventually disappear or get replaced. Already users are
complaining about problems showing up in OE6 after they install IE8
although nothing else on their software+hardware platform changed.
Later versions of products often provide backward compatibility but they
also limit how far back they retain their old functions. There are lots
of really old DOS games that still work provided you run them on the
software and hardware platform for which they were designed. Alas,
keeping a static software and hardware platform is not what OE users do.

Old August 31st 09, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:23:37 -0400, Twayne wrote:

Even when support does stop, OE6 will still be rather robust ...

"Robust"? Like the R.M.S. Titanic!

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come