OE launches Identity login on boot-up

Old August 15th 09, 09:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Default OE launches Identity login on boot-up

How did you export the Identity?
Did you also export the Registry settings?
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

"Homer" wrote in message
news
Hi
I mean I exported the identiy to a mail back up folder that I created then
imported into OE. I then checked all settings by comparing the settings
on
the machine I copied from and the target machine

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines.

Exactly what did you "copy over" and how did you do it?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all
settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the
task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 15th 09, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
homer

No. I just exported the identity accounts using insrtuctions I found on the
MS site

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all
settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the
task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 15th 09, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
homer

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all
settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the
task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 15th 09, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Did you back up the data exactly per http://www.insideoe.com/backup/? Is
this backup still available?

Did you then import the data exactly per
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/how.htm#importOE5?

Did you import the data into a new identity (i.e., you'd just created) or
into an identity that you'd already been using for a while? If the latter,
is it named "Main Identity"?

We're assuming "OE identity Login box" means you have to enter a password to
open OE to the identity-in-question. If this is not what you meant, STOP
HERE and reply to this post.

Was the identity on the computer whose data you backed up a
password-protected identity?

Did you intentionally password-protect the identity on the new computer?

Last but not least, was this your thread in IE6 newsgroup? Is it about
either of the two computer's we're discussing here? =
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c5da4fd5cca0f5

--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 15th 09, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 18th 09, 04:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
homer

I don't remember exactly where I got the instructions but I exported each of
my mail accounts using export on the tools menu. I exported them to a folder
I created. I do still have the .iaf and .csv files sitting in a folder. I
had manually created ID's in OE on the new machine and I then imported then
imported each of them using the import function on the tools menu. I did the
same thing with the address books. I exported them as csv files and then
imported them on the new machine. I didn't do anything with the registry.
What if anything can I do about this now, or do I just live with this
problem?

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 18th 09, 04:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
homer

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 18th 09, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
homer

I don't believe I answered all of your questions. i have to enter a password
to logon to an identity.

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 18th 09, 04:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
homer

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Old August 18th 09, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

There were several other questions you haven't answered yet. Moving on,
please answer these questions by number:

1a. What data did you export to a CSV file (e.g., your Address Book
contacts; your messages)?

1b. How did you import the CSV file (e.g., OE File | Import | Other address
book; Address Book File | Import | Other address book)?

2. Did you import any messages from the old identity? [yes/no]

3. Did you only encounter the password prompt after you'd imported the IAF
and CSV files? [yes/no]

4. IN RE the identity used on the old computer from which you exported the
data: Was this identity password-protected? [yes/no]

5. IN RE the identity on the new computer: Did you intentionally
password-protect this identity? [yes/no]

6. What anti-virus application is installed on the new computer and is your
subscription current?

7. Open your browser to this page:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c5da4fd5cca0f5

Is the computer we were discussing in that thread the old computer in this
one? [yes/no]

Homer wrote:
I don't believe I answered all of your questions. i have to enter a
password to logon to an identity.

paste
I don't remember exactly where I got the instructions but I exported each
of
my mail accounts using export on the tools menu. I exported them to a
folder
I created. I do still have the .iaf and .csv files sitting in a folder. I
had manually created ID's in OE on the new machine and I then imported
then
imported each of them using the import function on the tools menu. I did
the same thing with the address books. I exported them as csv files and
then imported them on the new machine. I didn't do anything with the
registry. What if anything can I do about this now, or do I just live with
this problem?

/paste

Homer wrote:
I'm in the process of setting up a brand new Dell mini net book. It's
running XP and I'm using OE 6.

I have two other machines that all use Outlook Exp and I copied over
my
identities from one of those machines. I also went into OE on the new
machine and compared every setting side-by-side to my existing
machine,
all settings are identical.

When I boot up the mini, the OE identity Login box appears minimuzed
on
the task bar. When I open it and select the ID and enter the
password,
nothing
happens. If I then click on the desktop shortcut for OE, the program
launches and opens the identiy I selected on the login dialog box.

From then on, the Identity Login dialog doesn't appear down there
again
until I reboot.

any idea?

Identity LOGIN PJ Outlook Express 1 December 23rd 08 05:16 PM
How do I dump the Identity Login after upgrading to Office Outlook Range Rat Outlook Express 9 July 6th 08 05:04 AM
Identity Login Problem mcp6453[_2_] Outlook Express 3 January 5th 08 12:57 AM
OE launches into password protected identity Spookytooth Outlook Express 4 February 22nd 07 05:41 PM
Outlook Express Identity Login Box keeps appearing stumpie Outlook Express 2 November 13th 06 07:23 AM