news link in OE6 won't work with x-usc: prefix

Old September 12th 09, 08:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Default news link in OE6 won't work with x-usc: prefix

[And another hoople-head joins the fray...]

Gene3 wrote:
The bug occurs with Windows Live Mail and Vista. It has nothing to do with
Outlook, Outlook Express, or other mail/newsreader clients except that
they
(all of them) find such URLs dead, inactive because of the spurious x-usc:
prefix. You can google for yourself and read about it, searchstring:
"x-usc
windows mail vista".

"N. Miller" wrote in message
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 05:10:47 -0500, Gene3 wrote:

To answer my own question: I did quite a bit of googling, and discovered
that reports of this bug started over 2 years ago. So MS has ample time
become aware of it, and their response is apparently to ignore it and
hope
it will go away. Or maybe they just don't care. The evolution of
windows
software has perhaps become too top heavy...

Does this bug exist in Windows Live Mail, or MS Outlook 2007? Even if the
bug were discovered two years ago, it will never be addressed in MS
Outlook
Express because development stopped well over two years ago. Even Windows
Mail (the Vista client, and different from Windows Live Mail) is older
than
that discovery date for the bug; as is MS Outlook 2003.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Old September 15th 09, 06:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gene3

I thought this was a forum interested in such facts. It looks like I was
wrong. Good bye.
--Gene3

Old September 15th 09, 07:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

"Gene3" wrote in message
The news link displays normally in OE6:
Looking at its source code, that is exactly how it appears in the source
code as well, no extra characters or prefix. However the link is dead when
clicked, it goes nowhere. The reason is that apparently a x-usc: prefix
appears out of the blue for unknown reasons, so when hovering the mouse
over
the link it appears in the OE6 status bar as follows:
x-usc:news://newsserver/newsgroup
Where does the mysterious x-usc: prefix come from, why, and how can it be
fixed?

I can't replicate that finding in MSOE (not even going to try to run MSOE on
Windows Vista; that is not a normal configuration). When I view your link in
MSOE6, I see a blue highlighted 'hotlink'. When I hover the mouse over the
link, my MSOE6 status bar shows that link exactly as it appears in your
article. There is no 'x-usc:' address type prefixed.

Old September 15th 09, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Looking at its source code, that is exactly how it appears in the source
code as well, no extra characters or prefix. However the link is dead when
clicked, it goes nowhere. The reason is that apparently a x-usc: prefix
appears out of the blue for unknown reasons, so when hovering the mouse
over
the link it appears in the OE6 status bar as follows:
x-usc:news://newsserver/newsgroup
Where does the mysterious x-usc: prefix come from, why, and how can it be
fixed?

Yes, it is I, again. Windows Mail on Windows Vista; SP2. When I hover over
your link, the status bar does not show the 'x-usc:' address type.

Here is the result of a "copy shortcut":

Exactly as you posted it.

Old September 15th 09, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Looking at its source code, that is exactly how it appears in the source
code as well, no extra characters or prefix. However the link is dead when
clicked, it goes nowhere. The reason is that apparently a x-usc: prefix
appears out of the blue for unknown reasons, so when hovering the mouse
over
the link it appears in the OE6 status bar as follows:
x-usc:news://newsserver/newsgroup
Where does the mysterious x-usc: prefix come from, why, and how can it be
fixed?

Yes, it is I, again. Windows Mail on Windows Vista; SP2. When I hover over
your link, the status bar does not show the 'x-usc:' address type.

Here is the result of a "copy shortcut":

Exactly as you posted it.

Old September 15th 09, 07:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

Looking at its source code, that is exactly how it appears in the source
code as well, no extra characters or prefix. However the link is dead when
clicked, it goes nowhere. The reason is that apparently a x-usc: prefix
appears out of the blue for unknown reasons, so when hovering the mouse over
the link it appears in the OE6 status bar as follows:
x-usc:news://newsserver/newsgroup
Where does the mysterious x-usc: prefix come from, why, and how can it be
fixed?

One more time. Using Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 on Windows Vista; SP2.
Your link displays properly in the status bar. I can even copy it, thus:

I am now three for three, unable to induce a client to show the 'x-usc:'
address type.

Old September 15th 09, 08:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:15:01 -0500, Gene3 wrote:

The bug occurs with Windows Live Mail and Vista. It has nothing to do with
Outlook, Outlook Express, or other mail/newsreader clients ...

Interesting. Your OP "Subject:" mentions Outlook Express (" news link in
OE6 won't work with x-usc: prefix"), yet you now say it has nothing to do
with MSOE? Also, FYI, Outlook is an email client and PIM; no news
capability, other than to invoke MSOE, and, maybe, any other client with
news reader capability.

... except that they (all of them) find such URLs dead, inactive because of
the spurious x-usc: prefix.

I have tried:

MS Outlook Express, on Windows XP MCE 2005; SP3. My followup is found as,

Windows Mail, on Windows Vista; SP2. My followup is found as, 'Message-ID:
'.

Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.23, on Windows Vista; SP2. My followup is found
as, 'Message-ID: '.

With those three clients, on those to OSes, I am zero for three trying to
induce the 'x-usc:' address type to show in a link.

You can google for yourself and read about it,
searchstring: "x-usc windows mail vista".

I see. You're original problem statement does not include a full description
of what is happening. The problem only happens in Windows Mail. Using the
40tude Dialog (my newsreader) search function, the reader can't find
"Windows Mail" mentioned in your original problem statement. Sorry, I have
no way to find out what you omitted to include in your problem statement.
Your lack of clarity is a large part of why I am having trouble
understanding what is happening.

So, you copied a link, and then pasted it, while using Windows Mail. Let me
check my articles again ...

Relevant headers from the relevant article:

| Subject: news link in OE6 won't work with x-usc: prefix
| Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:38:09 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlooke xpress

Ah, but I am not posting to NNTP with HTML enabled. I wonder if enabling
HTML has something to do with the problem?

At this point I am too lazy to research this further. Your Google search
turns up a work around. Unfortunately, Windows Mail is as dead as MS Outlook
Express; any bugs are likely permanent, unless they are a critical security
issue. For future reference, when discussing problems with Windows Mail,
instead of posting a help request in an MS Outlook Express group, you would
do well to post to a Windows Mail help group:

And I am also too lazy to research if the bug has carried over into Windows
Live Mail; currently the only free mail&news client offered by Microsoft.