Outlook Banter

-   Outlook Express (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/)
-   -   Find: how to search for multiple words? (http://www.outlookbanter.com/outlook-express/90797-find-how-search-multiple-words.html)

WhatsUp31415 May 25th 09 05:36 PM

Find: how to search for multiple words?

When using Find, sometimes I want to search for subjects that have two words
not necessarily adjacent and not necessarily in a particular order.

Basically, I want a search pattern like "this AND that" and "this OR that".

Is there some way to construct such searches?

Bruce Hagen May 25th 09 05:51 PM

how to search for multiple words?

OE can't do that.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

WhatsUp31415 May 25th 09 06:48 PM

how to search for multiple words?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
No.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Aha! Find cannot, but there is a custom view option that does what I want:
View Current View . Customize Current View. Deselect "For all messages",
and select "Where Subject line contains specific words". We can select
"contains" or "does not contain" and "matches all" or "matches any".
Tedious; but it does indeed isolate the thread of interest without having to
change my "Automatically expand grouped messages" Read option, which I
prefer to deselect.

Robert Aldwinckle May 25th 09 10:39 PM

how to search for multiple words?

"WhatsUp31415" wrote in message ...
When using Find, sometimes I want to search for subjects that have two words
not necessarily adjacent and not necessarily in a particular order.

Basically, I want a search pattern like "this AND that" and "this OR that".

Is there some way to construct such searches?

Only using multiple searches. E.g. first find the least common word
using Ctrl-Shift-F. Flag all of those messages (Ctrl-a,Alt-M,a)
Then reuse the Find window for the next word, this time also adding
Alt-g (Message is flagged). Result: messages which contain both
words in any context. Naturally you if you already have some messages
marked with the most common word the result would not necessarily
be what you wanted, so you might want to clear all Flags as a first step.

BTW all of this has been discussed from time to time in the past,
so it may be found using a Google Groups search of this newsgroup's
archive.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---