IMAP vs HTTP

Old March 21st 06, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
lucas

Default IMAP vs HTTP

I know IMAP is better than POP, but is HTTP (such as MSN) better than IMAP?

Old March 21st 06, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
lucas

Please respond to my email, . I will forget to check the
newsgroup.

Old March 21st 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Joan Archer

You asked the question in the newsgroup and any answers you get will
probably show here as that helps everyone and people who can help will not
usually respond to email, although the spambots will now you have shown
your email addy here.
Joan

Old March 21st 06, 07:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:58:41 -0600, lucas wrote:

I know IMAP is better than POP, but is HTTP (such as MSN) better than IMAP?

In the first place, if you post in a group, you _must_ remember to go back
to the group to collect replies to the post. It is rude to make a post to a
public server, and expect an email response.

In the second place, IMAP is only "better" than POP3 for some values of
"better". Each has its place. Sort of like the difference between a boning
knife and a carving knife in your kitchen, or the difference between a
crescent wrench and a box wrench in your garage.

From the receiving end, there is no difference in function between HTTPMail
and IMAP. OTOH, IMAP accounts usually use normal SMTP serves, with the
usual SMTP vulnerabilities. As a consequence, spam originating from
services offering IMAP accounts is negligible. OTOH, the WebDAV application
use with HTTPMail accounts seems to be easily compromised by spammers,
based on the volume of connection attempts my MX server sees from MSN
Hotmail SMTP relay clients. So, in the long run, I would have to say that
HTTPMail accounts are worse than IMAP accounts.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old March 21st 06, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Define "better" and why "IMAP is better than POP[3]".
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Security, Shell/User)

Old March 21st 06, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
lucas

Thank you for your response, sorry about requesting an email response. I was
working from a remote location using a web-bassed newsgroup reader which had
errors when trying to read the newsgroup, however it coulld post. I don't
know why it wouldn't show the newsgroup and only post, but now that I am
back at my home computer, I can us OE to read the newsgroup.

Lucas
"N. Miller" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:58:41 -0600, lucas wrote:

I know IMAP is better than POP, but is HTTP (such as MSN) better than
IMAP?

In the first place, if you post in a group, you _must_ remember to go back
to the group to collect replies to the post. It is rude to make a post to
public server, and expect an email response.

In the second place, IMAP is only "better" than POP3 for some values of
"better". Each has its place. Sort of like the difference between a boning
knife and a carving knife in your kitchen, or the difference between a
crescent wrench and a box wrench in your garage.

From the receiving end, there is no difference in function between
HTTPMail

Old March 22nd 06, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
lucas

IMAP is only better than POP3 if you only intend to use mail clients that
are IMAP compatible. Some people prefer to be able to access their email
from almost any mail client. That is when POP3 is better. However IMAP
allows online (stored on the server) folders. Also most mail clients prefer
to delete mail from POP3 servers upon download, when with IMAP they prefer
to leave mail on the server until it is deleted in the client. I always use
IMAP when available because my email system (Microsoft Exchange 2003) allows
both IMAP and POP3 access, which it also allows access through Outlook but I
am only talking about IMAP, POP3, and HTTP at the moment. If you don't
understand look below:

Name: IMAP---POP
Folders: Online folders---Inbox only
Compatibility: Works in most mail clients---Works in almost all mail clients

Lucas

Old March 22nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Aldwinckle

"lucas" wrote in message
Thank you for your response, sorry about requesting an email response. I was
working from a remote location using a web-bassed newsgroup reader which had
errors when trying to read the newsgroup, however it coulld post. I don't
know why it wouldn't show the newsgroup and only post,

Was that the Support site's portal by any chance?

Try the Communities portal instead.

Also, as a solution to your request for E-mail
learn to use the web interface's notification feature.

but now that I am
back at my home computer, I can us OE to read the newsgroup.

Lucas

I'm composing offline so I don't have any URLs to offer.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

http mail Carl G Outlook Express 17 March 4th 06 10:31 PM
rpc over http jmiller Outlook - Installation 2 February 5th 06 03:09 PM
http links in Outlook MN Outlook - General Queries 2 February 2nd 06 01:04 PM
Outlook 2003 using HTTP Help Please Jester9044 Outlook - General Queries 2 January 11th 06 01:06 AM