importing backup identity isn't working (OE6)

Old February 10th 09, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Default importing backup identity isn't working (OE6)

After a profile corruption I'm trying to get things back to normal. For
Outlook Express 6 in Windows 2000, I'm importing from the backup identity.
During the import the different email folders seem to be importing, and
there are occasional notices asking if I want to overwrite a current
file/folder...it all seems to be working but nothing shows in the results.
The mail folders are not showing up in Outlook Express and a few emails were
imported into the Inbox, but not all of the ones showing in the backup
identity. I can look in the backup identity folder and everything seems to
be there, all the email folders and their content. They just aren't
importing into Outlook Express.

This import has worked fine in the past so I'm not sure where to look for
the problem. Any suggestions?

I also use OEBackup, and restored a backup from there, but nothing showed up
in Outlook Express even though the backup seemed to be proceeding normally.

John

Old February 11th 09, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

May we assume that you're importing the file FOLDERS.DBX, too? Did you
compact all OE folders before creating the backup? Have you been adhering
to all of the following caveats, including before you created the backup?...

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old February 12th 09, 12:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Problem solved. I was using the importing option "from an OE6 store
directory". I tried again using the Identity option and all the folders and
everything are back in place.

John