Getting Rid Of Norton & McAfee

Old January 23rd 09, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Default Getting Rid Of Norton & McAfee

"Ildhund" wrote:

Most regulars in this group (with one notable exception) would
recommend ditching both McAfee and Norton and installing Avast or
AVG.

Many techies do indeed hate Norton, and sometimes McAfee as well, with a
white-hot passion.

Three Principal Reasons Why:

1. They can't get employment with Symantec -- or McAfee -- which engenders
vitriolic hate. [Many also feel the same way about Microsoft -- and for the
same reason -- they were rejected by the corporation.]

2. The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to hack.

3. They never want to pay for anything if they can help it, even though
that means accepting an inferior product.

'Nuff Said.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Ildhund" wrote:

Most regulars in this group (with one notable exception) would
recommend ditching both McAfee and Norton and installing Avast or
AVG.

Old January 23rd 09, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
BillW50

In ,
D. Spencer Hines typed on Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:23:16 -0000:
Many techies do indeed hate Norton, and sometimes McAfee as well,
with a white-hot passion.

Three Principal Reasons Why:

1. They can't get employment with Symantec -- or McAfee -- which
engenders vitriolic hate. [Many also feel the same way about
Microsoft -- and for the same reason -- they were rejected by the
corporation.]
2. The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to
hack.
3. They never want to pay for anything if they can help it, even
though that means accepting an inferior product.

'Nuff Said.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Vires et Honor

That isn't true at all! In my case. As when I was younger... I *loved*
Norton and McAfee. Although then they started to add a lot of bloat.
Then came the problems, incompatibilities, instabilities, lockups, etc.
And especially with Norton, really *can* screw up your system after an
uninstall. Then I switched to PCcillin. Then they started to cause the
same problems because they started to bloat as well. As they all started
to cause more problems than they fixed. And if AVG isn't careful, they
are very close to be added to the do not install list as well. Maybe you
enjoy an unstable system, but I don't!

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old January 23rd 09, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

I didn't say ALL techies fit this profile....

I said MANY techies...

Congratulations!...

_PERHAPS_ you are the exception that proves the rule.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

Old January 24th 09, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
BillW50

In ,
D. Spencer Hines typed on Fri, 23 Jan 2009 23:51:12 -0000:

"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

I don't buy that for a second! As I believe Norton, McAfee, and a few
others screw themselves by trying to be cute and it bites them in their
behind. And this is why they are not liked by experienced users.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu

Old January 24th 09, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Balderdash!

I'm an experienced user of Norton AV, et al., products since the early
1980's...

Never had any such problems with any of them.

Currently Norton Internet Security 2009 [NIS 2009] -- the whole enchilada.

It's an excellent product...

I Repeat, For The Slow, The Unsure & The Halting:

Many techies do indeed hate Norton, and sometimes McAfee as well, with a
white-hot passion.

Three Principal Reasons Why:

1. They can't get employment with Symantec -- or McAfee -- which engenders
vitriolic hate. [Many also feel the same way about Microsoft -- and for the
same reasons -- they were rejected by the corporation.]

2. The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to hack, so
the doors are still open to them.

"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

Old January 24th 09, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Earle Horton[_7_]

"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

You should try Windows Live OneCare...

Earle

Old January 24th 09, 01:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

You should try Windows Live OneCare...

Earle

Yes...

Go ahead...
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"BillW50" wrote in message
[...]

Old January 24th 09, 01:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

"N. Miller" wrote in message

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:23:16 -0000, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

"Ildhund" wrote:

Most regulars in this group (with one notable exception) would
recommend ditching both McAfee and Norton and installing Avast or
AVG.

Many techies do indeed hate Norton, and sometimes McAfee as well, with a
white-hot passion.

Three Principal Reasons Why:

1. They can't get employment with Symantec -- or McAfee -- which
engenders vitriolic hate. [Many also feel the same way about Microsoft
-- and for the same reason -- they were rejected by the corporation.]

Nothing to do with employment. Both McAfee, and Norton, severely hosed my
old HP Pavilion 6745C (Windows Me) because of design flaws in the
software.

Anyone dumb enough to purchase and run Windows Me deserves whatever grief he
got. It was incompatible with all sorts of software -- and Microsoft was
not sharing the code properly.

'Nuff Said.

2. The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to hack.

3. They never want to pay for anything if they can help it, even though
that means accepting an inferior product.

--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Vires et Honor

Old January 24th 09, 02:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
BillW50

In ,
D. Spencer Hines typed on Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:38:48 -0000:
Balderdash!

Nonsense!

I'm an experienced user of Norton AV, et al., products since the early
1980's...

My computer career started in 1974 and my first home computer was back
in 1981. There was no virus checkers back in the early 80's. And Norton
was only a bunch of DOS utilities.

And the very first virus that I remember was from a software company
called Berkeley Softworks back in around '87. It was actually a Trojan
which deleted the boot sector of its GEOS products if it thought it was
a pirated copy. Unfortunately a lot of legal users got tired of paying
them for new boot disks (that cost 20 bucks each time) every few months
that we cracked our legal copies. And while Berkeley Softworks may have
put a dent in piracy, they also ticked off their legal users as well

Never had any such problems with any of them.

Because you think it is do to something else probably. Google is full of
horror stories do to Norton and McAfee problems.

Currently Norton Internet Security 2009 [NIS 2009] -- the whole
enchilada.
It's an excellent product...

That would be a miracle! They are not smart enough to make a good
product. They were once a great product. But now they generally screw up
everything they touch. Need I list all of their failed products? My
guess is all of the old programmers are gone and nothing but new and
inexperienced programmers are there now. The experienced ones are
probably working for AVG and Avast.

I Repeat, For The Slow, The Unsure & The Halting:

Many techies do indeed hate Norton, and sometimes McAfee as well,
with a white-hot passion.

Three Principal Reasons Why:

1. They can't get employment with Symantec -- or McAfee -- which
engenders vitriolic hate. [Many also feel the same way about
Microsoft -- and for the same reasons -- they were rejected by the
corporation.]
2. The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to
hack, so the doors are still open to them.

3. They never want to pay for anything if they can help it, even
though that means accepting an inferior product.

'Nuff Said.

Look! Once Norton and McAfee has burned you for 10 years... they could
do anything they want too. For some of us, we will never trust them
ever! I am so sick of paying software developers for years to only be
repeatedly stabbed in the back. If you like them that is fine! But those
whom they have stabbed over and over again will *never* trust them. And
if they want to burn bridges as they go, good for them.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu

Old January 24th 09, 02:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Hmmmmmmm...

Looks as if I've turned over a rock and found a poor fellow who's suffering
from a most severe case of...

Norton [Symantec] Derangement Syndrome.

NIS 2009 -- their best product to date.

A good working partner with OL, OE and WLM.
--
D. Spencer Hines
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"BillW50" wrote in message

[...]

OE 2007 and McAfee Problem? CharlieH41 Outlook - General Queries 2 October 30th 07 09:57 PM
Outlook /w McAfee Spamkiller [email protected] Outlook - General Queries 2 January 28th 07 08:31 PM
mcafee yvonne scholl Outlook Express 1 September 26th 06 12:27 AM
Why Outlook looks for McAfee .dll after I uninstalled McAfee DL Outlook - Installation 8 January 16th 06 05:26 PM
Why Outlook looks for McAfee .dll after I uninstalled McAfee David Aronow Outlook - Installation 0 January 9th 06 02:51 PM