Getting Rid Of Norton & McAfee

Old January 24th 09, 03:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
BillW50

Default Getting Rid Of Norton & McAfee

In ,
D. Spencer Hines typed on Sat, 24 Jan 2009 02:29:36 -0000:
Hmmmmmmm...

Looks as if I've turned over a rock and found a poor fellow who's
suffering from a most severe case of...

Norton [Symantec] Derangement Syndrome.

NIS 2009 -- their best product to date.

A good working partner with OL, OE and WLM.
--
D. Spencer Hines
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"BillW50" wrote in message

In ,

D. Spencer Hines typed on Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:38:48 -0000:

Balderdash!

Nonsense!

I'm an experienced user of Norton AV, et al., products since the
early 1980's...

My computer career started in 1974 and my first home computer was
back in 1981. There was no virus checkers back in the early 80's.
And Norton was only a bunch of DOS utilities.

And the very first virus that I remember was from a software company
called Berkeley Softworks back in around '87. It was actually a
Trojan which deleted the boot sector of its GEOS products if it
thought it was a pirated copy. Unfortunately a lot of legal users
got tired of paying them for new boot disks (that cost 20 bucks each
time) every few months that we cracked our legal copies. And while
Berkeley Softworks may have put a dent in piracy, they also ticked
off their legal users as well
Never had any such problems with any of them.

Because you think it is do to something else probably. Google is
full of horror stories do to Norton and McAfee problems.

Currently Norton Internet Security 2009 [NIS 2009] -- the whole
enchilada.
It's an excellent product...

That would be a miracle! They are not smart enough to make a good
product. They were once a great product. But now they generally
screw up everything they touch. Need I list all of their failed
products? My guess is all of the old programmers are gone and
nothing but new and inexperienced programmers are there now. The
experienced ones are probably working for AVG and Avast.

I Repeat, For The Slow, The Unsure & The Halting:

Many techies do indeed hate Norton, and sometimes McAfee as well,
with a white-hot passion.

Three Principal Reasons Why:

1. They can't get employment with Symantec -- or McAfee -- which
engenders vitriolic hate. [Many also feel the same way about
Microsoft -- and for the same reasons -- they were rejected by the
corporation.]

2. The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to
hack, so the doors are still open to them.

3. They never want to pay for anything if they can help it, even
though that means accepting an inferior product.

'Nuff Said.

Look! Once Norton and McAfee has burned you for 10 years... they
could do anything they want too. For some of us, we will never trust
them ever! I am so sick of paying software developers for years to
only be repeatedly stabbed in the back. If you like them that is
fine! But those whom they have stabbed over and over again will
*never* trust them. And if they want to burn bridges as they go,
good for them.

No! You don't get it. There was no Norton Ant-virus in the early 80's!
You are a fraud and a liar! And you have no idea why experienced users
will not be interested in Norton. It is only useful for clueless users
who needs their hand held while they use their computer.

Experienced users don't welcome software treating them as complete
idiots. Why do you think Vista isn't doing as well as MS had hoped? And
why do you think MS Bob v1.0 became a big flop?

Now if you like Norton, that is fine with me. And that says a lot about
you. But don't try to lie as you will get caught! As this is the
Internet remember? As somebody with far more experience will call you
out on your bluff.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2

Old January 24th 09, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Kayman[_2_]

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:38:48 -0000, D. Spencer Hines wrote:

snipped some of the drivel

Currently Norton Internet Security 2009 [NIS 2009] -- the whole enchilada.
It's an excellent product...

That's what I heard; It's been reported here once or twice. IMO, the more
users reporting on this 'fact' the better the discussion, alas not too many
as yet.

The lesser-known, freeware programs are simpler and easier to hack, so
the doors are still open to them.

Could you provide pertinent links in relation to the 'hack' issue and as to
how AV applications close 'doors' (os ports?)?

They never want to pay for anything if they can help it, even though
that means accepting an inferior product.

A bold and rather biased statement IMO. Granted, there is a slight delay of
updating the VDF but apart from this, good-quality (free) AV (and A-S)
applications essentially do everything what paid versions are doing without
some of the incidental 'bells and whistles' (enchiladas). And if one
considers the availablity of free first-class on-demand scanners, I'd
rather spend my money on an external hard-drive and a workable back-up
program.

OE 2007 and McAfee Problem? CharlieH41 Outlook - General Queries 2 October 30th 07 09:57 PM
Outlook /w McAfee Spamkiller [email protected] Outlook - General Queries 2 January 28th 07 08:31 PM
mcafee yvonne scholl Outlook Express 1 September 26th 06 12:27 AM
Why Outlook looks for McAfee .dll after I uninstalled McAfee DL Outlook - Installation 8 January 16th 06 05:26 PM
Why Outlook looks for McAfee .dll after I uninstalled McAfee David Aronow Outlook - Installation 0 January 9th 06 02:51 PM