OE6 send multiple copies

Old January 21st 09, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Henry Kolesnik

Default OE6 send multiple copies

Today I forwarded a set of pictures to several people in my address book
and started getting messages back that their mailboxes were full.
Later, I got some emails and a phone call saying that they got 10 to 25
copies of the same mail. Over a week ago ATT/SBC suggested I install
their complimentary McAfee and since then its been problems. MY PC was
unacceptably slow, so I added more RAM and that speeded things up. Oh
yes I forgot to mention that there were unsent emails in my outbox but
they had been received. I also had trouble deleting stuff from the
outbox which had and hadn't been sent. Now these multiple emails. Any
idea what might be wrong?
Thanks
hank

Old January 21st 09, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Two things to consider.

1:

Can you get your money back? McAfee has never played nice with OE. A very
bad recommendation on ATT/SBC.

See if turning off the e-mail scanning helps. If not, I would remove it and
use either AVG or Avast. Both are free and much more compatible with OE.

AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0
http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

Do a custom installation and opt out of e-mail scanning.

Avast:

In the case of Avast, choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool three-step fix
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...33&id=TS100507

2:

For your Outbox problem.

Create a new Outbox, and Sent Items folder.

Do the following for the Outbox, and Sent Items after you move any messages
you wish to save to a local folder you create.

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

With OE closed, find the Outbox.dbx and Sent Items.dbx file and delete them.
New files will be created automatically when you open OE.

To help prevent this in the futu

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2 or SP3}.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old January 22nd 09, 02:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

[cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5e0380bb3c3da]

Old January 22nd 09, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Henry Kolesnik

What I notice last night is that after emails are sent from the Outbox,
it never takes the counter down and the Sent box doesn't show it was
sent. But my recipients got it and keep getting it until I manual
delete it from the Outbox which is sometimehard to do. This morning it
seems to be behaving.

Old January 22nd 09, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You still need to clear out and replace the Sent Items folder as I suggested
or it will happen again soon.

Old January 22nd 09, 09:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

1a. Move any messages that you want to keep out of Sent Items and Deleted
Items folders and into other local OE folders you've created for archiving
(saving) such messages.

1b. Move 99% of your messages in your Inbox folder to other local OE
folders, too.

2. Write down the location of your identity's store
(http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#storemain).

3. Close OE.

4. In Windows Explorer, navigate to your store folder, find & delete the
files Outbox.dbx, Sent Items.dbx, and Deleted Items.dbx.

To avoid such problems in the future, adhere to the following caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

=============

Also see Symptom/Resolution #2 he http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887797
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old January 23rd 09, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
NormanM

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:31:34 -0600, Henry Kolesnik wrote:

Today I forwarded a set of pictures to several people in my address book
and started getting messages back that their mailboxes were full.
Later, I got some emails and a phone call saying that they got 10 to 25
copies of the same mail. Over a week ago ATT/SBC suggested I install
their complimentary McAfee and since then its been problems. MY PC was
unacceptably slow, so I added more RAM and that speeded things up. Oh
yes I forgot to mention that there were unsent emails in my outbox but
they had been received. I also had trouble deleting stuff from the
outbox which had and hadn't been sent. Now these multiple emails. Any
idea what might be wrong?

McAfee, for one. You posted this a week ago:

| From: Henry Kolesnik
| Newsgroups: sbcglobal.feedback
| Subject: McAfee Avast AVG ?
| Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:32:47 -0600

Two of the three responses you got (mine, and one other) told you to dump
McAfee. It is junk. Just get rid of it, and be done with it. Don't
substitute Norton.

Get AVG, Avast, or Avira. Whichever you get, use the "Custom Install"
feature, and don't install the email scanner component; you don't need it,
and MSOE hates it.

By the way, if you have email in your "Outbox", but your correspondents have
received same, you may have a corrupt "Outbox", or even a corrupt "Sent
Items" folder. MSOE is good for such corruption of the default folders:

Inbox.dbx
Outbox.dbx
Deleted Items.dbx
Sent Items.dbx
Drafts.dbx

The way to fix that is to move any email you don't want to lose out of the
affected folders (Outbox and Sent Items). Then close MSOE. Then go to your
message store and delete the relevant folders (Outbox.dbx and Sent
Items.dbx). Then restart MSOE. The deleted folders will be recreated.

If you read these groups long enough, and with enough curiosity about other
people's problems, you will, eventually, find a number of articles posted by
PA Bear and Bruce Hagen regarding the hazards of archiving email in the
default MSOE folders.

Oh yes. And don't trust the software your ISP wants to push on you. They
will only offer what they get a good deal on, not what is best.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come