Scanning e-mail

Old December 30th 08, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dori A Schmetterling

Default Scanning e-mail

Since reading here numerous times that e-mail scanning is redundant and can
even cause problems with OE I turned the scanner off (AVG 8 Free).

Having become sensitised to this issue I noticed that all anti-virus
applications promote the virtues of e-mail scanning.

How can the manufacturers be persuaded to at least insert a proviso that
e-mail scanning is not always ("never" would be too ambitious) required?

What about Microsoft's stance, given the huge user base it has for e-mail
clients?

DAS
---

Old December 30th 08, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Remove AVG and reinstall in a custom mode. You will see a point when you can
opt out of e-mail scanning.

Turning off e-mail scanning is safe. See:

Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...ion.mspx#EOAAC

Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email:
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

Turn off email scanning in your antivirus softwa
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And this is from Symantec, but applies to all anti-virus programs.

From:
http://snipurl.com/bmf6

Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?

Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old December 30th 08, 10:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Simply put, email scanning is a marketing gimmick. (Email scanning on a
server is a horse of a different color.)

Old January 2nd 09, 02:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
wildcatgolfer

I turned off e-mail scanner and when I tried sending again,scanner started
right back,,,symantec,,,It also continued to run long after file was sent.

From:

Old January 2nd 09, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Like the OP, you /must/ uninstall your Symantec AV program and do a custom
installation, opting out of e-mail scanning when it arises. Norton/Symantec
e-mail scanning can not be disabled completely otherwise.

Personally, I would not have anything made by Norton/Symantec on any machine
of mine.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

From:

Old January 2nd 09, 11:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dori A Schmetterling

A couple of the anti-virus apps even append the msg that an outgoing msg has
been scanned. (It certainly sounds good.)

I guess Microsoft would not issue advice to stop e-mail scanning.

sigh
DAS

---

Old January 2nd 09, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dori A Schmetterling

1) Regarding my AVG antivirus, I have already turned off the e-mail scanner
and I note the advice of how to eliminate the error msg. I think this
suggestion was made before but I haven't yet implemented it as the AVG error
msg doesn't actually bother me.

2) Bruce, why would you not have a Symantec application on your machine?
NAV regularly gets good reviews from computer mags and the 2009 version even
gets plaudits for having been shrunk. I used to have Norton SystemWorks,
which worked well, but they stopped making it.

On the other hand, Norton 360 got great reviews but a search of forums
turned up a host of crticial user comment so I never bought it.

I am still running SystemWorks 2004 on my son's computer. Because it was a
clean install (and because it was 2004 version) it did not demand a
confirmatory licence from Symantec, so it will run for a year.

DAS

---

From:

Old January 2nd 09, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Norton and McAfee have never worked well with Outlook Express, and now
Windows Mail in Vista. They may work OK for quite some time, but sooner or
later, one of their updates will screw thing up. Not to mention they are
both resource hogs.

AVG and Avast, both freeware work just fine.
--

From: