OE / restoring adress book folder structure

Old September 2nd 08, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dori A Schmetterling

Default OE / restoring adress book folder structure

My OE address and other folders are exported to a known place which ensures
they are part of my usual regular back-up.

My contacts are (were!) grouped in subfolders e.g. by company name.

Recently I had cause to reinstall Windows. When I came to retrieve/restore
my address book I found that the folder structure had been lost. This has
happened before. I have not yet exported any modifications using the export
wizard in the hope that the folder structure might still be in the .wab
file.

= Can somebody tell me how to restore my contact list with its folder
structure?

I searched this NG to the extent I could (back to 17 Aug 08) but did not see
any relevant thread.

Thus any help would be gratefully received.

DAS

---

Old September 2nd 08, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Groups and folders do not export or import. There is this workaround.

Courtesy of Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express

Create a "standalone" WAB file:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm#wabexe

Then open your default address book to the group desired and select all
member of the group and copy them to the clipboard (Ctrl+A selects all,
Ctrl+C copies them to the clipboard). Then open your "standalone" WAB file
and paste the contacts into that file (you will have to hit the Enter key to
OK each entry but it beats typing) and then either copy that wab file to a
floppy disc or export it as CSV file. Otherwise, folders and groups neither
import, nor export.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 2nd 08, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Dori A Schmetterling

Bruce

Your extremely quick reply is much appreciated. (I can see from other
threads that you are very diligent!)

The key comment is "folders and groups neither import, nor export."

I have to disagree to an extent as my groups did NOT get lost, to my great
surprise, though the (sub)folders did.

I'll follow up your suggestion but I am wondering if it would be better to
export everything to MS Outlook and work from there.

If I transfer to Outlook, could I retain all settings, i.e. flags and bold
'unread' status? And can one export and import e-mail address folders in
Outlook?

I have never used Outlook as I don't need the calendar/PIM function and I
thought I would save some overhead, but more recently somebody said that
Outlook does not add significant overhead.

Do you agree?

Thanks a lot.
DAS
---

Old September 3rd 08, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I have no MS Outlook experience. Sorry. If no one here can answer this
question, you can try an outlook newsgroup.

Outlook and Outlook Express are entirely different programs. You will get
better help in an MS Outlook newsgroup:

--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express