How to sent email without my return address

Old August 24th 08, 02:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Default How to sent email without my return address

I want to send an email back to a spammer (actually a response to a fraud email) and I don't want to identify myself.
Is this possible? How can I do it...

jc

Old August 24th 08, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:04:50 -0700, jbclem wrote:

I want to send an email back to a spammer (actually a response to a fraud email) and I don't want to identify myself.
Is this possible? How can I do it...

It is, but what makes you think that you will be communicating with the
spammer? He has already done what you might do; forge some unfortunate
soul's email address. So your response will go to an innocent victim of
forgery, and your IP address will still be visible to the recipient (unless
you are as low as the spammer, and using "peas").

Report it to Spamcop.net and forget it, or delete it and forget it.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
Old August 25th 08, 08:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

This was email asking for bank information, that kind of thing. I think one way to fight back it to send false
information and force these people to waste time with it.

What's a "peas", haven't heard of that before.

Old August 26th 08, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 00:55:43 -0700, jbclem wrote:

"N. Miller" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:04:50 -0700, jbclem wrote:

I want to send an email back to a spammer (actually a response to a fraud
email) and I don't want to identify myself. Is this possible?
How can I do it...

It is, but what makes you think that you will be communicating with the
spammer? He has already done what you might do; forge some unfortunate
soul's email address. So your response will go to an innocent victim of
forgery, and your IP address will still be visible to the recipient (unless
you are as low as the spammer, and using "peas").

Report it to Spamcop.net and forget it, or delete it and forget it.

This was email asking for bank information, that kind of thing. I think
one way to fight back it to send false information and force these people
to waste time with it.

This is called a, "phishing" spam. "Phishes" normally do not require an
email contact; they included a web page link. Typically made, through HTML
trickery, to look like the link goes to the victim's banking web site, but
actually going to some offshore site, instead. If you want to risk catching
malware from that site, just follow the links in the email body. I have done
that, in the past, and given information leading back to local DAs, or the
state AG. I don't waste my time with it, any more. I just report it through
Spamcop.net.

What's a "peas", haven't heard of that before.

Spammerspeak for "proxies", from the first letter. Open proxies (aka,
"peass") on compromised computers, belonging to the customers of residential
ISPs, are the most common vector for spewing spam to the Internet.