msimn.exe using 60-99% cpu, even after closing OE6

Old May 13th 08, 11:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Default msimn.exe using 60-99% cpu, even after closing OE6

The subject line says it all...something has changed recently and when I start running OE6 the cpu usage goes up
dramatically and stays that way. Even after I close down OE6, msimn.exe keeps running and using up the cpu power. I've
run antivirus programs (Avast, and Norton) and not finding anything obvious. I'd like to ask for some suggestions for
troubleshooting this. My OS is Win2000.
Thanks,

jc

Old May 13th 08, 01:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

OE and Norton are not compatible. See www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3 It is
probably Norton that is keeping OE open. Alternatively, your version of OE
is so old, you may be experiencing the background compaction phenomenon (see
point 2 on that page above).

You should get rid of Norton (AVAST is okay if email scanning is disabled)
and then go to Windows Update and make sure you have the latest updates for
OE. Then go to File | Identities and set up a new Identity. If that works
okay, you can import the messages (File | Import) from the older Identity.

steve

Old May 13th 08, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

1. Uninstall any/all Norton applications and LiveUpdate via Add/Remove
Programs.

2. Run this removal tool:

3. Your machine is running outdated and much less secure versions of OE, IE
and Windows. Go to Windows Update and install all critical updates ASAP.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old May 14th 08, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Looks like I had the background compaction on and didn't know it. That solved the problem. This is a 2nd computer and
I hadn't used this OE for email collection until this past month.

Are you saying that OE is incompatible with all versions of Norton? On both computers I've been using Norton Antivirus
Corporate Edition 2002 for a year without any problem. It's a more straight forward version of their antivirus, and any
bells and whistles it might have I keep turned off. Same with Avast. I use them strictly for manual scanning. And I
disable any automatic services they try to set up, and I watch Task Manager closely so I know if they sneak in a extra
process.

I also used Norton Antivirus 2003 for years along with OE and no such problems. Maybe that's why I don't use the newer
Nortons, I've read too much about them...but these older versions seem to work fine. I use current Avast to fill in any
gaps.

How else would this incompatibility show up, is there something I should be watching for?

Thanks for the help, I'm sure glad to fix this obnoxious problem.

John

Old May 14th 08, 12:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
jbclem

Thanks for your concern, but I'm doing fine with Windows 2000 and OE6. I use Firefox 2 99% of the time and other than
it's memory leak, and my proclivity for opening too many tabs, it works like it should. I would try OE7 but it's only
for WinXP so I'm out of luck there.

John

Old May 14th 08, 01:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

OE is not incompatible with Norton, Norton is incompatible with OE. (As is
McAfee). You may use it for a long time with no problems, but sooner or
later, along comes a Norton update and everything goes to hell.

If you have Avast, which I use, why do you need Norton as well? Avast works
as well as any other program, it's free, and there is no need to have two AV
programs running at the same time. It may even cause a conflict. More than
one firewall almost always will.

IMHO, I would get rid of Norton via Add/Remove and then run this tool.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool:

Symantec uninstaller may not finish the job:
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080207#story1

Avast is more than sufficient and very OE friendly.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old May 14th 08, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

There is no OE7 and you cannot install IE7 in Win2K.

Your machine is missing numerous critical security updates and will remain
vulnerable to all sorts of exploits until you get the machine fully patched
at Windows Update! = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Once you get the machine fully patched, keep it that way:

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Win2K:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327850

Old May 14th 08, 12:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Norton has generated OE problems since there was an OE. They don't always
show up, but when they do, one winds up with no messages. If you persist in
using it, I'd suggest you make frequent backups.

OE is very susceptible to corruption of the message store and many antivirus
programs push it over the edge.

steve

Old May 20th 08, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Юля Кочергина

"jbclem" сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:

"jbclem" wrote in message
The subject line says it all...something has changed recently and when
start running OE6 the cpu usage goes up
dramatically and stays that way. Even after I close down OE6,
msimn.exe
keeps running and using up the cpu power. I've
run antivirus programs (Avast, and Norton) and not finding anything
obvious. I'd like to ask for some suggestions for
troubleshooting this. My OS is Win2000.
Thanks,

jc

Error in msimn.exe Fabio Outlook - General Queries 2 September 13th 07 06:42 PM
Msimn error New OldTimer Outlook Express 2 July 7th 07 11:21 AM
msimn error ed Outlook Express 3 December 26th 06 04:41 PM
msimn.exe crashes: 0xc00000008 Jesse Outlook Express 4 November 7th 06 06:07 AM
MSIMN.exe can't be found dresdenron Outlook Express 1 March 14th 06 03:48 PM