Can't Permanently Uncheck "Use DDE"

Old May 11th 08, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
KIR

Default Can't Permanently Uncheck "Use DDE"

Using XP Home SP3, OE 6.00.2900.5512 (XPSP 080413-2105)

When I go to My Computer/tools/folder options/file types/(none) URL hyper
text transfer protocol/advanced/edit/use DDE, and uncheck the box I then
click OK/OK/close, but the box remains checked when I go back to it. The
apply button is grayed out. The same situation applies to URL hyper text
transfer protocol with privacy.

After installing SP3 I found that the only way to get the hyper links in
email messages in OE to work was to uncheck the DDE box. The problem is they
don't stay unchecked. Can someone help me correct this? Thanks.

--
"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."
- Sir Winston Churchill

Old May 11th 08, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Use DDE will never remain unchecked. Never has. It is the initial one time
unchecking that usually fixes the problem of clicking on links.

Assuming everything here is as should be:

Hyperlinks do not work in Outlook Express after you upgrade to Internet
Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929867

If still no joy, for IE6 & IE7:

From:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

If nothing happens when you click a link:
Open Windows Explorer, or the Control Panel.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to [NONE] URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (NOT URL:Internet
Shortcut) and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome (Check the path to
iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

~~~~~

If all the above is correct, try re-registering these dlls:

Start | Run | type, or Copy/Paste, these in one at a time and try again.
(Note the space in each command).

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

In IE, go to: ToolsInternet OptionsPrograms. Click: Reset Web Settings -
(uncheck box for homepage) - Click Yes.

~~~~~

If you /still/ have a problem and it started after installing SP3, then
continue on here.

If SP3 was downloaded with an anti-virus, or anti-spyware, program running,
you may have a bad installation.

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

* If the configuration of your antivirus software prevents certain system
files from being changed, SP3 installation might fail. Try temporarily
disabling your antivirus software. You can usually do this by right-clicking
your antivirus program icon (which typically appears in the bottom
right-hand corner of the computer screen) and clicking Disable.

* If you disable your antivirus software before you install the service
pack, be sure that you are aware of the risks involved, and be sure to
enable it after the service pack is installed.

Remove SP3 via Add/Remove Programs, reboot and download and install it
again. Before you do, turn off your anti-virus and any anti-spyware programs
such as Windows Defender. If you use a third party firewall, disable it and
turn on the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel for the installation. Once
SP3 is in and working, you can enable the third party firewall and turn of
the Windows Firewall. Do not keep both running.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old May 12th 08, 06:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
KIR

Thanks Bruce. I reset all the settings as you listed and it appears to be
working just fine now. I appreciate your help.

From: