OUTLOOK EXPRESS GOING AWAY ???

Old April 30th 08, 02:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bubey

Default OUTLOOK EXPRESS GOING AWAY ???

Since Outlook Express is going away (?) so I heard
can
I get some recommendation for a new mail program
that is
similar? I have tried Outlook but it doesn't give
the flexibility
for multiple folders and with a main folder.
Thanks !

Old April 30th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

OE isn't going anywhere. If you use it to access a Hotmail account, you will
have to get a Hotmail Plus account after June 28, but other than that,
nothing is going to change.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old April 30th 08, 06:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Where did you hear that OE's going away? (It's not.)

Here's the only thing that's going to change in OE:
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!5359.entry

Discussion (long) of same:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b191d2ef1c9614
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old May 1st 08, 12:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bubey

Thanks guys for the info. I read it on the net
after I got the info
that the grandfathered Hotmail accounts would have
to use Mail 7,
I think that's what they call it...the one that
comes with IE7. But
there was info that both Hotmail and OE was going
away. Makes
sense as Outlook is old too.

Old May 1st 08, 03:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

There is no mail program with IE7.

Microsoft's new preferred free mail client is called Windows Live Mail
(WLM). It's available for XP SP2+ and Vista. It provides access to all
Hotmail accounts, as well as POP3, IMAP and NNTP.

Windows Live Mail Overview
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

Outlook Express isn't dead, but it's on life support. Microsoft will
continue to provide security fixes as long as they do for XP. There
might be an occasional minor fix, but no further development is being
done on OE.

But as long as you are happy with the non-Hotmail parts of OE (POP3,
IMAP, NNTP, Address book) as they are now, those will all continue to
work indefinitely. None of it is dependent on what Microsoft does.

Old May 1st 08, 06:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Larry[_3_]

Michael, does WLM import OE6 folders, messages, address book, settings,
newsgroups etc directly and easily?

Larry

Old May 1st 08, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Each email account will have an Inbox, Sent items, Deleted items, Drafts,
and Junk email folder.
WLM won't give you a choice, it will import all email and newsgroup
accounts.
I fairly sure that the newsgroup messages will not import.
OE user created folders will be placed under Storage folders.
I had to open Contacts and import addresses. Some addresses were duplicated
and some did not have a display name.
--
Ronald Sommer

Old May 1st 08, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Related:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...274a7a8122ddc4
--