unable to open .msg files with only outlook express

Old April 26th 08, 06:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Fiona Jones

Default unable to open .msg files with only outlook express

I do not have office loaded and I can't view old emails that I have stored on a USB and a few that I loaded onto my hardrive. What is my next step?
Old April 26th 08, 07:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
VanguardLH[_2_]

Fiona Jones wrote:

I do not have office loaded and I can't view old emails that I have stored on a USB and a few that I loaded onto my hardrive. What is my next step?

Don't use quote-printable format when submitting posts to Usenet. See
the long line above? That is what a lot of Usenet users will see.

Outlook Express knows how to read .eml files because they are just text
files. The .msg files produced by Outlook are proprietary and only
Outlook knows how to read them.

Google works. Maybe you'll find something you can download to view
those .msg files.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...Bmsg+%2Bviewer

Many are shareware or commercialware so you'll have to pay for them. I
didn't look too long (since the searching is what YOU should be doing)
and the only freebie one that I found was at:

http://www.uvviewsoft.com/download.htm

Its help says you have to get a TotalCommander plug-in (from another
site) so it can read .eml and .msg file. It didn't work after I
installed it (in a virtual machine so I could easily get rid of it all)
and added the plug-in. WHen I tried to open a .msg file, the plug-in
bombed with an exception error. Maybe you'll have better luck with it.
Maybe something else in the search is better than this hodgepodge
utility.

Encryptomatic's MSGviewer worked but it definitely is not free ($50 for
Lite, $60 for Pro).

You could also install Microsoft's Virtual PC (free) and go to their VHD
Catalog site to download the *huge* Windows Vista + Office 2007
Enterprise demo to read your .msg files (during the 30-day trial).
Old April 26th 08, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

We're all about Outlook *Express* here.

Outlook-specific newsgroups include:

--