Outlook Express hangs while receiving

Old February 26th 06, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
southskies

Default Outlook Express hangs while receiving

Hi,

Yet another post about the problems of Outlook express???

I'm trying to download emails from a POP3 server to my PC using Outlook
Express. These emails are ones that had previously been sent using
Webmail.

When I click on Send/Receive the window "Checking for new messages....
Receiving message 1 of 17" is displayed.

It just hangs on message 1.

My configuration is WIN XP SP2. I've just downloaded the latest OE
patch.

Norton AV 2004. Email scanning turned off, then the application
disabled. XP2 firewall turned off.

So, if I then move all the 17 emails to another folder and send a new
email to my address(so there is only 1 email in my inbox), then do the
Send/Receive command, then this newly received email will download
fine.

Move the 17 emails back into by inbox. Same result - just locks up.
Move them out, then move in a different lot of 17- same effect.

I've increased the server timeout. No effect. I've switched the "Leave
messages on Server" on and off. No effect.

I've gone and deleted the POP3UIDL file. No effect.

I've deleted and reallocated the TOOLS accounts details. No effect.

I've changed the Store folder to something different. No effect.

Everytime I've done a change, I've closed both OE and IE.

All files to be downloaded are very small - approx 2K.

I've tried the TELNET thing, and after I've done the RETR 1 command the
email contents are displayed OK.

One interesting thing - I go into the Webmail Inbox, select all emails,
then select to move these to another box. I quickly switch over to OE
click send / receive and then they start downloading, but it it stops
after 3 or 4 emails have downloaded. Whilst these 3/4 emails have been
downloaded, I still have to go into Webmail and delete them.

I've turned on the Trouble shooting trace, which is as follows -

Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2670 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.050504-1643)
POP3 Log started at 02/27/2005 22:35:45
POP3: 22:35:47 [rx] +OK Teapop [0.3.8] - Teaspoon stirs around again
Deleted
POP3: 22:35:47 [tx] USER me
POP3: 22:35:47 [rx] +OK Welcome, do you have any type of ID?
POP3: 22:35:47 [tx] PASS deleted
POP3: 22:35:47 [rx] +OK I'm ready to serve you, Master.
POP3: 22:35:47 [tx] STAT
POP3: 22:35:47 [rx] +OK 17 45141
POP3: 22:35:47 [tx] LIST
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] +OK These are my measures.
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 1 2542
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 2 520
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 3 5065
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 4 1822
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 5 1775
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 6 6602
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 7 866
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 8 2189
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 9 1595
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 10 580
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 11 2612
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 12 1991
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 13 7917
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 14 3445
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 15 1543
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 16 1094
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] 17 2983
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] .
POP3: 22:35:48 [tx] RETR 1
POP3: 22:35:48 [rx] +OK 2542
{Thats it , nothing follows}

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Old February 26th 06, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Noel Paton

The email that won't download is blocking the rest - move all to another
folder, then move each back one by one, and download - when you hit the one
that won't download, delete it from the server. - you should then be able to
download the rest in one block

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

oups.com...

Old February 27th 06, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Some possible causes of problems downloading mail messages:

- The POP3UIDL.DAT (IMN or OE4) or POP3UIDL.DBX (OE5+) file may be
corrupted. This is used to track previously downloaded messages when
you leave messages on a POP3 server (Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties,
Advanced). However, the file gets updated even if you aren't leaving
messages on the server. Delete the file with Outlook Express or
Internet Mail closed. (On Win2000 you need enable the display of Hidden
or System files in the folder options and XP you need to use the
advanced options to find Hidden or System files.) The next time all
mail on the server will be downloaded. But after that the file should
function correctly again.

- Anti-virus program scanning e-mail as it downloads. Increasing the
Server Timeout at Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Advanced might
help. Or you may need to disable the anti-virus software from scanning
e-mail.

Old March 1st 06, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
southskies

The antivirus thing isn't valid as I've now uninstalled Norton.

Downloading the emails one at a time isn't realistic as I have 73
emails to download and 95% of these will not download.

I've now installed Eudora, and I'm having the same problem. It times
out just like Express. The message I get from the Eudora log is

3796 64:0.13 Rcvd: "something so much, but in the end its really
someone else's call. \r\n"
3796 64:0.13 Rcvd: "\r\n"
3796 64:0.13 Rcvd: "Steve?ing so much, but in the end its really
someone else's call. .\r\n"
3796 8:5.13 Dialog: "Error reading from network\r\n"
3796 8:5.13 Dialog: "\r\n"
3796 8:5.13 Dialog: "Cause: Eudora got tired of waiting for the server.
(10100)"
MAIN 8:5.13 Dialog: "Sorry, you don't have any new mail."

It is strange that on the last line the words after the ? are a repeat
from the previous line of the email. Perhaps the email software is
expecting the ? as the EOF marker, but because the text carried on, the
marker is never read, and so the process just hangs?

Takes me down the modem line, perhaps there was a problem with the
modem init string (which I didn't previously have). Tried a few
settings. No luck.

I then try on a different PC using a broadband connection. Using yet a
different email client, namely MS Outlook this time (latest version).
Same problem occurs.

SO... obviously we can deduce that

1. The error that all the email clients are detecting has probably
arisen from the same cause.
2. The anti virus effect is not a factor
3. The modem is not a factor
4. The email client isn't the factor (although its underlying
connection engine or logic may be)

The fact that the "?" character is not the last character retrieved
from the server may be the cause.

Constructive suggestions or comments?

Old March 1st 06, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
southskies

Well after 2 years of trying to clear my sent emails off my ISP Webmail
server, this situation has now finished for me with the following
conclusions.

1. There is a TRUE bug with the email clients (MS Outlook Express,
Outlook, Eudora etc) that is probably related to the underlying POP
architecture, that is unrelated to anti-virus software, firewalls etc.
This is evidenced by the huge number of error reports and logs that are
on the Web stating that that people are having problems sending and
receiving their emails. We can't ALL be absolute idiots.

2. The Email client providers will always blame the ISP and say that
you have to up the timeout settings

3. The ISP people will always say that it is your email client and that
you must reinstal it.

4. No wonder there is a lot of money on Web development. Everybody
blames everybody else, but they all charge for doing the investigation,
which, to them, proves that the problem was not caused by themselves.

5. The true culprit will never be discovered, as everybody assumes that
the underlying architecture is stable. Yeah right.

6. The average user spends a huge amount of time getting frustrated
with something that a) They really have no control over b) They will
never get any proper advice from their isp C) will never get fixed.

SO the solution?

Well there is no direct solution, but the following surely does help

1. Create a Yahoo account

2. Get all the "broken" emails transferred to this account. You can set
up Yahoo to read the POP3 account of your ISP. In this way, all the
date/time stamps will be retained within Yahoo. You don't actually sent
the emails to your YAHOO account, you simply retrieve them via Yahoo.

3. Download YPOP and install

4. Reboot PC

5. Set up your email client (in this case for me Outlook Express) to
use the YPOP proxy as the means of downloading your emails from the
Yahoo server. Ensure that POP proxy is not set to localhost (see link
at bottom) should be 127.0.0.1.

Full instructions on the use of YPOP are available on the YPOP website.

http://dbeusee.home.comcast.net/

and

http://email.about.com/od/outlookexp...t/et041606.htm

Difficulties

http://ypops.sourceforge.net/index.p...ewtopic&t=1747

SO simple, I wish I found this solution years ago.

I hope that a lot more people get to read this kind of solution.

Old March 1st 06, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

There is no setting in OE that will keep a copy of sent mail on your server.

There is a setting in Tools | Accounts to keep a copy of incoming mail on
the server. If delete after xx days was not checked, then the server will
choke up when it reaches its limit.

If that is/was the case, then neither OE or the ISP is to blame.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express