Can't Send mail using Netscape

Old February 25th 06, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
RJ

Default Can't Send mail using Netscape

I am using Outlook Express with my Netscape ISP mail account. I used to be
able to receive and send mail with Outlook Express, but now I can only
received mail. I have tried sending mail on several computers and I get the
same result:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
the server. The rejected e-mail address was '. Subject
'test5', Account: 'pop3.isp.netscape.com (1)', Server:
'smtp.isp.netscape.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Recipient
Rejected: Relay not allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550,
Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Netscape says it is an Outlook Express problem, but I have my doubts. Is
anyone else having trouble sending mail in Outlook Express with a Netscape
mail server?

Thanks

RJ
Old February 25th 06, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

RJ wrote:
I am using Outlook Express with my Netscape ISP mail account. I used
to be able to receive and send mail with Outlook Express, but now I
can only received mail. I have tried sending mail on several
computers and I get the same result:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was
rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was
'. Subject 'test5', Account:
'pop3.isp.netscape.com (1)', Server: 'smtp.isp.netscape.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Recipient Rejected: Relay not
allowed', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number:
0x800CCC79

Netscape says it is an Outlook Express problem, but I have my doubts.
Is anyone else having trouble sending mail in Outlook Express with a
Netscape mail server?

Thanks

RJ

Are you connected with Netscape when you try to send?

http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#relay550

Netscape Internet Service Mail Settings
The Netscape e-mail system is web-based, which means you can access
their e-mail from any Internet connection. Netscape Internet Service
also supports AOL® Communicator, Microsoft® Outlook, Microsoft® Outlook
Express, and other POP3 e-mail software. The outgoing mail server needs
SSL support, so make sure your email client software supports SSL
connections over the SMTP protocol.
Netscape Internet Service Incoming Mail Server (POP3) -
pop.3.isp.netscape.com (port 110)
Netscape Internet Service Outgoing Mail Server - smtp.isp.netscape.com
(port 25, using a secure SSL connection)

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old February 25th 06, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
RJ

--
RJ

"Kath Adams" wrote:

RJ wrote:
[...]

Yes, I am connected to Netscape when I try to send email.

When I turn on the SSL connection, I get the following error:

The server does not support a SSL connection. Account:
'pop3.isp.netscape.com (1)', Server: 'smtp.isp.netscape.com', Protocol: SMTP,
Server Response: '250 8BITMIME', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error:
250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

Any other thoughts?

thanks

RJ

Old February 25th 06, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

RJ wrote:
--
RJ

"Kath Adams" wrote:

RJ wrote:
[...]

Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 8BITMIME', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D

Any other thoughts?

thanks

RJ

No, I don't have any other thoughts. Others may jump in with more
suggestions.
The instructions say that you need SSL, then the error message comes
back as SSL not supported? I think you may need to get back to Netscape
tech support.

Old February 25th 06, 11:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
RJ

I finally reloaded the Netscape software and recreated my email server in
Outlook Express using their instructions for Outlook Express. Outgoing mail
requires authenication, but not a SSL connection. Believe it or not, my
outgoing mail now works properly. Thanks for your support.
--
RJ

"Kath Adams" wrote:

RJ wrote:
--
RJ

Old February 26th 06, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 08:07:27 -0800, RJ wrote:

[...]

What you are seeing is a relay error; the sort I would get if I tried to
use that server.

I have a suggestion; why not set MS Outlook Express to use port 587? I just
tried to Telnet to 'smtp.isp.netscape.com', and I got the following:

| 220 dm17.mta.everyone.net ESMTP EON-AUTHRELAY2
| help
| 500 unrecognized command
| quit
| 221 Bye

I suspect that they do use authentication, though; even though "help" was
no help. As long as you don't get an error over STARTTLS, it should work.
MS Outlook Express, through version 6.0, doesn't support STARTTLS on ports
other than 25, though.

Tools Accounts Properties. On the "Servers" tab, be sure to check "My
server requires authentication"; but _DO NOT_ check "Log on using Secure
Password Authentication", that is a Microsoft thingy, little used outside
of an Exchange environment. On the "Advanced" tab, change the "Outgoing
mail (SMTP)" port to 587.

As I said, as long as they don't require STARTTLS with the log in, this
will work. From any ISP connection.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come